install softether on linode(ubuntu) as vpn server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
equalto

install softether on linode(ubuntu) as vpn server

Post by equalto » Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm being bored by a problem in setting vpn on linode for days and need help from you kind guys.
My VM on linode is running ubuntu 32bits. I install softether server with latest codes and set up it as what the manual says(bridge on eth0, not virtual device). But when I connect to it from my laptop, nothing can be done with the vpn connection. Website checkip.org shows my request is not routed by the host machine, and I even can not access the host machine by the private ip(not public ip)!
I check the vpn client, it does have a ip4 address with mask of "255.255.0.0" but has not gate way. Status of the vpn connection says "cannot connect internet".
Could you kindly share your experience with me?

Thanks a lot!

cedar
Site Admin

Re: install softether on linode(ubuntu) as vpn server

Post by cedar » Sun May 26, 2013 1:22 am

Your VM permits promiscuous mode?
Is there a DHCP server in your network?

>> I even can not access the host machine by the private ip(not public ip)!

In Linux, VPN server host cannot communicate with VPN client by local-bridge to network device.

I think you should use SecureNAT function instead of local-bridge.

equalto

Post by equalto » Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for your reply.
I sent a ticket to linode and they said the vm do support promiscuous mode. Could you tell me how to check if this feature is turning on?
I'm using SecureNAT now, but it seems to be very slow.
BTW, do you know to check the transaction status of softether, like " TX packets:24666448 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0"?

Thanks again.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Mon May 27, 2013 9:17 am

You can see the traffic in status of VPN session and virtual hub.
VPN Server does not take the statistics of packets that were dropped.

equalto

Post by equalto » Mon May 27, 2013 3:10 pm

I also tried with pptpd, which creates a nat interface for each client. By ifconfig I found the reason why ipad run so slowly and fixed it by changing the MTU setting. I also want to watch on the "quality" of softether.
====================
Anyway, now i'm using SecureNAT feature for my vpn. No local bridge is being used. It does work, VPN client can access web behind the host's ip. But I do not know if it is correct.
Maybe I need to learn more about tcp/ip and linux. :)

Thanks for your kind remind.