Linux: How To Setup Softether Server and Clients - Tutorials

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dksill

Linux: How To Setup Softether Server and Clients - Tutorials

Post by dksill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am

0. Problem
I have several networks across the cloud, which I like to join via small raspberry pi (RPI) machines, running softether VPN:

- A is the local network, high speed, I am sitting there physically and can intervene with the hardware. it is the gateway to the world.

- B is a remote local network in a different country. I have already a RPI there and I can ssh into it, by some way. no fixed address, sort of selfmade dyndns and NAT access.

- C is similar as B, in a 3rd country. no NAT - so I access via reverse tunnel.

the softether configuration makes the whole thing more transparent for users and permanent. I can then directly connext between the computers on the different networks, mainly B<->A and C<->A (I dont wanna use B<->A<->C indirectly, but that's another story).

dksill

Re: Linux: How To Setup Softether Server and Clients - Tutor

Post by dksill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am

1. SETUP SERVER on linux debian wheezy - raspberry pi (RPI)

good instructions are given here, although in japanese:
http://www.pc-links.com/blog/softether/rc2-setup/
yes, I have the same problem - i do not read kanji. however, the necessary commands are all in clear-text, go through the black-and-green command line windows and then paste it into your bash at the RPI. Make sure, you wget the latest version of the software. if a command was not installed on your RPI, apt-get install it!

since I run the server on my local network, I used the remote server configuration program running on windows. I created accounts, users, passwords and run it in local bridge mode.

dksill

Re: Linux: How To Setup Softether Server and Clients - Tutor

Post by dksill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:59 am

2. SETUP CLIENT - vpnclient on a remote linux

It may happen that you want to set up a vpnclient on a remote linux system, where initially, you only have ssh (or telnet) command line access. That means, after successful installation of the vpnclient software, you need to run the configuration via vpncmd, which might be a bit painful for the first time. the documentation for the tool is given here:
http://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manua ... _Reference

here how-to: i have done all commands in root administrator mode.

- start the client from your shell:

sudo /usr/local/vpnclient/vpnclient start

- call the configuration tool

sudo /usr/local/vpnclient/vpncmd

- and connect to your local client by selecting '2' and return return.

- at the prompt, you can then configure the client and connect by the following commands
- (my-server is the server address and 443 is the port chosen)

RemoteEnable
AccountList
AccountDelete zhuhai
AccountCreate zhuhai /SERVER:my-server:443 /HUB:zhuhai /USER:username /NICNAME:zhuhai
AccountPasswordSet zhuhai

- here you need to enter your credentials and possibly 'standard'

AccountGet zhuhai
AccountStatusShow zhuhai
AccountProxyNone zhuhai
AccountDetailSet zhuhai /MAXTCP=5 /INTERVAL:15 /TTL:infinite /HALF:no /BRIDGE:no /MONITOR:no /NOTRACK:no /NOQOS:no

NicList
NicCreate zhuhai
NicDisable zhuhai
NicEnable zhuhai

AccountConnect zhuhai
AccountStatusGet zhuhai
AccountStartupSet zhuhai

- if you are behind a proxy, you need to do (3128 is the port)

AccountProxyHttp zhuhai /SERVER:proxy-address:3128

exit

- back at the command-promt, set up your network, i.e. if the server network is 10.10.10.*
- and you want to give the end-number 56 to the new device:

sudo /usr/local/vpnclient/vpnclient start
sudo ifconfig vpn_zhuhai 10.10.10.56 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
sudo route add -net 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.10.10.56

- all connected, from network A, you can connect to the new client 10.10.10.56
and use the windows remote softether client management tool for furter configurations