Local LAN Access

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jamesgamble

Local LAN Access

Post by jamesgamble » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Hello,

I've got the VPN Server installed on a remote machine, and the VPN Client installed on a machine on my desk. I connect to the VPN Server, it connects properly, authenticates, and since I'm using Virtual NAT and DHCP, I get an IP address in the DHCP range. However, I lose access to my local LAN when connected. What do I do to fix that? I would like to have access to the remote network, but I would rather only requests going to the remote network go through the VPN tunnel, and the rest of the requests (Internet access, local LAN access, etc) continue to route through my local LAN.

jamesgamble

Re: Local LAN Access

Post by jamesgamble » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 pm

I figured this out. I did a route add IPofMyServer 192.168.30.1 at the command line of the client machine and I turned on Automatic Gateway Metric on the adapter of the VPN client.

jmparis

Re: Local LAN Access

Post by jmparis » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks James.

Playing with the interface metric under windows did the trick.
To my problem, I was more concerned by setting a high metric value. (500 or more)

Another tip for you, in return.
You can avoid adding manually the IPOfYourServer as a new route by doing this:

Run the "VPN Client Manager"
"Your Virtual Interface" --> Properties... --> Advanced Settings... --> No Adjustements of Routing Table --> Tick the checkbox

From now, your previous gateway is leaved untouched when you VPN gets up.
Combined by a high metric value upon the virtual interface. You can use local network for everything but specific network access (they go to your VPN).