Unable to connect to VPN Server inside LAN using vpnazure

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
XPeter

Unable to connect to VPN Server inside LAN using vpnazure

Post by XPeter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:03 am

Hi, all the VPN buddies

Recently, I have some issue with connect to VPN server inside my office, and it seems the vpnazure.net not work for me.

I used to setup Softether VPN server in one my office spare PC in July last year, and it works flawless for me, so I could access my office shared drive remotely from home. But the PC was spoiled in Sep, and there was no replacement until recently. So I installed the VPN server again, but with newer version 2.0. However, after fill in the HOST name in Client Side (e.g. myDNS.vpnazure.net), I noticed that I couldn't connect or find the Virtual Hub Name. Therefore, I also upgrade my client from version 1.0 to 2.0. But the same issue occurs. If I manually filled in the Virtual Hub name, e.g. myVPN, and force connect, the Error code 1 will appear.

Here are some additional findings:
1. if the HOST name changed to the spare PC name, then my laptop in the office LAN could connect to the VPN server, and being assigned an LAN IP address correctly with local bridge setting. So in other words, my VPN server authorization setting should be alright.
2. I noticed that the Azure Connection Status is not stable, sometimes it is connected, some times Not connected, it is very intermittent. I am not sure if it is considered normal or not.
3. In the office, I connected my laptop to my mobile phone using USB tethering, so that my laptop's network is outside the office LAN. But same as from home, still can't connect to the server
4. With USB tethering, in the Chrome, type: http://(myDNS).vpnazure.net, result --> "Google couldn't find the host xxx....". But if my laptop in the LAN, the chrome shows following information:
------------------------------------------------------------
Network Error (tcp_error)
You are requesting a page that cannot be reached due to the following reason:

A communication error occurred: "Connection refused"
User Name:
IP: 10.x.x.x (<--- this my laptop LAN IP)
Blocked category:
Blocked URL: http://(myDNS).vpnazure.net/

The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

If the information you are requesting is wrongly categorized, please copy the above information and open a case with ITD Helpdesk by sending to ITDHELP@xxx.xxx.xxx or call xxx-xxx-xxx."
------------------------------------------------

Do anyone knows what happen to my VPN server, or could be something wrong with my connection to vpnazure. (BTW, the port 443 is open)

XPeter

Re: Unable to connect to VPN Server inside LAN using vpnazur

Post by XPeter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:17 am

Sorry for forgetting mentioning about the OS I am using.

In July 2013 (working normally)
Server: WinXP SP3
my laptop Client: Win 7 SP1
Softether VPN Server: 1.0.x
Sottether VPN Client: 1.0.x

Now Jan 2014 (Not working)
Server: WinXP SP3
my laptop Client: Win 8.1
Softether VPN Server: 2.0 build 9387
Sottether VPN Client: 2.0 build 9387

XPeter

Re: Unable to connect to VPN Server inside LAN using vpnazur

Post by XPeter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:23 pm

After Server upgrade to version 4.0, the problem remains: NOT able to connect to Azure, or unstable connection to Azure.

Any suggestion?

Thanks