Need Suggestion on ad supported free VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
hdavy2002

Need Suggestion on ad supported free VPN

Post by hdavy2002 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 am

Hola guys,

I am trying to give users free VPN. Of course, I was thinking of making it ad supported. Is it possible to insert ad pop up while being connected to my VPN? Something every 10 min an ad pops up.

Any suggestion on how to get this going would be great.

Thanks in advance folks.

moog

Re: Need Suggestion on ad supported free VPN

Post by moog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:10 am

Personally I avoid ad supported anything. If it's any good I'd rather pay to use it. Better still, just take donations.

If you really want such a scheme; Send the user an email each time they use the VPN, to use the VPN they need to click the email receive an ad.

or

You could assume the user is going to use HTTP over their VPN then play DNS trickery to forward the user to your ad site, caching their initial request and forwarding it on a click - this is how hotel paid access works.

google.com -VPN1-> ads.com ----click--VPN2--> google.com
in VPN1 all DNS resolve to ads.com, all GET requests are cached by server and played back once VPN2 is active and normal DNS resumed.

hdavy2002

Post by hdavy2002 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 am

(google.com -VPN1-> ads.com ----click--VPN2--> google.com
in VPN1 all DNS resolve to ads.com, all GET requests are cached by server and played back once VPN2 is active and normal DNS resumed.)

Thanks moog, I like your suggestions. Could you elaborate a little on your last statement. Do I need to setup up two VPN servers? with one VPN server forwarding all DNS to ads.com. Sorry I am a newbee

moog

Post by moog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 pm

What you are doing is not trivial and will require a lot of configuration, more than I could ever explain in an email.

You need to have software that sits behind a webserver and sends updates to a DNS server and alters a routing table on a per-user basis.

then you need to integrate this with SoftEther (I think softether supports radius?)

Google "linux captive portal"
and "linux captive portal dns redirect"