VPN Server behind firewall, no port forwarding

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
alexthered88

VPN Server behind firewall, no port forwarding

Post by alexthered88 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:40 pm

I read that SoftEther VPN Server can be used behind a firewall without having to set up port forwarding. It is supposed to use something called UDP Hole Punching. I could not get it to work. Do I have to do something in the configuration to turn this on or is it on by default?

I also tested it with VPN-Azure feature and it works but this is only for Windows (SSTP protocol) and I am trying to use SoftEther for my Android phone which only supports L2TP/IPSec.

I am behind two firewalls, one of which I have no control over. The main firewall that connects to the Internet is managed by my apartment complex and I do not have any access to. It has a direct connection to the Internet and a LAN IP address 192.168.1.254. Then another firewall/router which is the one in my house that I do control with an IP address of 192.168.1.60 on the WAN side and my own subnet 192.168.0.x that it routes for.

Thank you.

Picture of my network is attached: http://i.imgur.com/cLN0hUg.png

I am running SoftEther on my PC inside my LAN at IP address 192.168.0.5 (not shown in the picture).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexthered88

Re: VPN Server behind firewall, no port forwarding

Post by alexthered88 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:16 pm

With the softether.net DDNS IP, neither L2TP/IPsec nor SSTP works. Nothing in the logs so I believe no traffic is getting past the firewalls to the VPN Server.

With the vpnazure.net DDNS IP, L2TP/IPsec does not work, but SSTP does (have to turn on SecureNAT). Why doesn't vpnazure.net support L2TP/IPsec as it would solve the Android/iOS compatibility issue?