Access to services on VPN server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jfourie

Access to services on VPN server

Post by jfourie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:37 am

Hi all. I have set-up a VPN server on a Raspberry Pi running on my internal network. The Pi has 2 interfaces set-up.

1) eth0 192.168.1.60
2) wlan0 192.168.1.61

I have set-up a local bridge using eth0.
When I connect from an external Windows PC to the VPN I can see my network accept the server that the VPN is running on. Now I know this is a Linux issue and that the documentation states that. But I dont know how to fix it.

I have a wordpress site running on the Pi as well. This site is a portal to services on the network so I want to get to it as well.

The documentation states I need to create a second NIC. I have seen others talk about TAPs and that my second NIC needs to be on another subnet.
Can sombody please give me the steps to flollow to be able to get to the services on the Pi when I connect via the VPN. Step by step please.

Thanks for the cool software btw.

jfourie

Re: Access to services on VPN server

Post by jfourie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm

OK do I understand this correctly.

To make this work I have to

1) I have to add a tap under local bridge setting to the virtual hub in the Softether manager software. let say tap1. This will create a tap_tap1 interface if I do a ifconfig on the OS on the Pi
2) Then I have to bridge tap_tap1 and eth0 using the OS and give the bridge a IP address.

I read that eth0 and the tap should not have IP addresses. But tap_tap1 gets its IP via DHCP. How do I stop that ?

jfourie

Re: Access to services on VPN server

Post by jfourie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm

OK I got it working.

As I said you need to do the following.

1) Create a tap device in the VPN manager software.
2) Then the create a bridge between the tap and eth0. Make suire the tap and eth0 dont get ip. You give the br0 an static address.

And then all works 100% after a reboot.