softether without public/external ip

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
piracik

softether without public/external ip

Post by piracik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:59 am

Soo. What is the difference between public and external? I guess everyone who uses the internet has a external, but public you have to order on for example no.ip? And the main question do i have to order this ip before i can use softether via internet? I mean ist this a necessary condition?

fenice

Re: softether without public/external ip

Post by fenice » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 am

In normal parlance the Public or External address is the IP address your ISP assigns to you (i.e. they mean the same thing), it becomes the "external" if you install some sort of firewall/router on your internet connection to allow you to run a bunch of machines on a "private" LAN.
Regards

Bill

piracik

Post by piracik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Ok now its more clear for me. So do i have to get a Dynamic DNS to use softether? - i do not have one. My problem is that i am not able to connect via internet to my ssoftether server and i am asking myself where the problem lies.

fenice

Post by fenice » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:40 pm

The answer to your original question is no, you don't need any form of Dynamic DNS service Do you have any firewall on your internet connection? As long as you know your public IP address then you should be able to connect. Perhaps you could give a description of your LAN configuration and what exactly happens when you try to connect to your SoftEther server - I'm assuming that you're trying to connect from somewhere else on the internet?
Regards

Bill

piracik

Post by piracik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Hey i cannot drop pics here, to large. Email? The solution if so, will be posted :)
Last edited by piracik on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fenice

Post by fenice » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Just a brief written description would do for me. :)
Regards

Bill

piracik

Post by piracik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Ok i understand. So on one network in linux there is the softether server and the connection goes through a router. In the router configuration i forwarded ports like 1194 433 500 4500 etc. and turned off the firewall. The other network in win10 where the client is, is connected to a tethering android. So when i try to connect via internet there comes the standard message: wrong adress or smth. like this.. connection will be repeat.
Last edited by piracik on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piracik

Post by piracik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey i wanted to add that i am very thankful for giving me your time, ask me whatever you want i will try to describe it. Its very important for me to get this connection started. Maybe it would be also important: i use softether because a notmal vpn is not possible for me because of the NO VPN passthrough option in the router.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 am

Did you try to use VPN Azure?