OpenVPN compatiblity and keep alive rate

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ChAoS

OpenVPN compatiblity and keep alive rate

Post by ChAoS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello,

I use softether VPN Server also to connect from my mobile android device. I know there exists a VPN client on the Android but I prefer to use the open VPN client...

It seem to work in general but when I am connected to the Softether VPN Server with the genuine OpenVPN client there is every second recieved a packet so that the LTE modem is everytime sending and recieving. Also the Device will not go in deep sleep mode so the battery drains very fast.

I think these are keep alive packets sent by softether server and I read with using TCP you are able to reduce the packet sending intervals.

Is there any function in softeter to set the keep alive intervals to Open VPN clients?

I also saw this phenomen with the androids VPN client, so there should be the same setting in the L2TP section.

To verify that this packets are not generated in my LAN I created an empty Hub only with secure NAT and DHCP enalbed, no other clients outer the one android device was connected. Also in this constellation there was recieved 1 Packet / second.

thanks a lot,

greetings, Chaos

thisjun

Re: OpenVPN compatiblity and keep alive rate

Post by thisjun » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:01 am

I think it's not problem about traffic.
The problem is caused by your OpenVPN app.
When OS require to sleep, the app ought ignore the request.