Feature Request: SOCKS Server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
slacka

Feature Request: SOCKS Server

Post by slacka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm

SoftEther is a wonderful VPN client, but it would be more useful if you could configure it to run as a SOCKS Server like Tor and PuTTY. Both of which are open source and may be possible to integrate with SoftEther.

For example at work, when I want to connect to my home network, I use SoftEther, but sometimes I need to connect to work related sites with IE and personal sites with Firefox. If SoftEther supported SOCKS, I could do this by:
Firefox->Options->Advanced->Connection Settings->Enter SoftEther's settings

This would allow me to use my work networks with IE and personal sites with Firefox. It would have the added benefit of altering me when the VPN is down, since pages would not load in Firefox if the VPN was disconnected.

Does anyone know of a way to do this without SOCKS support in SoftEther?

dnobori

Re: Feature Request: SOCKS Server

Post by dnobori » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:21 am

Thank you for comment. Currently SoftEther VPN doesn't support TCP connection-level proxy function.

slacka

Post by slacka » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 am

Daiyu,
SOCKS support would solves these two issues:
1) Allows simultaneous connections to 2 network gateways
2) Prevents leaking of data between networks. ie If the SOCKS connection goes down, the browser will timeout and not use the other network.

Without SOCKS, is there any other ways to get the functionality of 1 or 2 in SoftEther? For example, is there any way to setup split tunnels in SoftEther to solve issue 1? Is there anyway to have SoftEther disable Internet access when the VPN disconnects to solve issue 2?

Thanks again for all your hard work! As someone who has suffered from blocked Wikipedia and news sites in China, I want you to know that your work really makes a difference to us.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:46 pm

You can split your traffic by setting routing table.

slacka

Post by slacka » Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 pm

cedar wrote:
> You can split your traffic by setting routing table.

How is this possible if I don't know the destination network in advance? For example, if I wanted to route my IE traffic through my local Internet and Firefox through my SoftEther VPN?

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Windows don't support application level routing.
It's impossible.

LyWashberg

Post by LyWashberg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Is there any way to setup SoftEther so that the traffic will only go through the VPN, effectively disabling the Internet when the VPN goes down?

Thanks working so hard on SoftEther. It's truly a marvelous VPN.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

You can erase default gateway on your physical NIC to disable normal Internet access.
You can connect the VPN when you add manually only route to the VPN server.