Newbie Making Sure

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Datsys

Newbie Making Sure

Post by Datsys » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello All,
I am new to this and I just wanted to make sure I got it right. Not sure where to find the instructions for dummies so I have to ask. I am looking at using a VPN to give some remote users controlled access to a Windows LAN. Most important to them is the need to access files in a specific folder on the DC. My understanding of this is that I can use this software by installing the Server side on the DC using the basic config through the install wizard and do the same with the Client side on the remote users and that should be it? Will I also need to install the Server Manager?

kalemeister

Re: Newbie Making Sure

Post by kalemeister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:31 pm

What is a DC?

The server comes with the server manager so if you install server you will get the server manager automatically installed. I don't know what the default settings are for the server but one of the user authentication methods for the server is 'anonymous'. If that's default I don't think you want that and should use server manager and change it.
But once those are set then yes, users that connect should be able to access the server as if they were on the same LAN, so they will have access to a shared folder.

Datsys

Post by Datsys » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:53 pm

DC = Domain Controller.

Thanks for the response, it has given me a bit more confidence to go forward.

The fact is that I have been looking for a software vpn since I used to use Hamachi and the changes introduced since it was bought by LogMeIn have caused me to move away from it. In considering implementing this as my option of choice, I am hoping you can tell me if this also allows for me to install the client on my Windows laptop and workstation and use them to connect to more than 1 server install wether it is Windows or Linux?

What I have in mind is to use this to connect to a VPS I am setting up to host some software as well as setting it up on some other servers that I need remote access to for various reasons.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:04 am

SoftEther client can connect to multi servers at same time.