Remote acces in OVPN mode

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
aruzsi

Remote acces in OVPN mode

Post by aruzsi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi,

I've got an Ubuntu 14.04 VM somewhere in the cloud.
There are 2 Ethernet interfaces: one of them is connected to the Internet and the other one is connected to the internal network (10.0.0.0/x)

I want to connect to that machine from home. My client is Ubuntu 14.04, too.
I downloaded the sample OVPN config with SoftEther manager. My server version is: 4.08 build 9449 which was built to Ubuntu.

I definied a VirtualHUB and there is a local bridge which was connected to eth0 in the 1st time then after eth1.

I was able to connect to the VPN or server machine but I can't ping or do anything with the connection.
I use the L3 config and I got IP address from the virtual DHCP server. The client side was almost all right, except routing. Everything was routed over the VPN. I modified the routing table by hand.

Of course I tried to ping the remote side testing the connection without success.
My local IP was 192.168.30.13 and the remote peer was .30.14.

I checked the server side with the manager software and I can see everything is all right.

I don't understand where is the peer's interface which IP address is 192.168.30.14. There are just two interfaces:
eth0 and eth1. No tun0 or anything else. I don't understand theoretically how can I check the connected status.

I thought there was a new network interface after the successfull connection. Succesfull doesn't mean there is IP traffic! It means the connection was established.
In my opinion the local side was successfull configured. I think the problem on the server side the missing (?) VPN interface and /or routing.

Do I have to config a tun0 interface before the softether server will be started manually?

Any help would be appretiaced.

TIA,

aruzsi

Re: Remote acces in OVPN mode

Post by aruzsi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

Hi,

Nobody answered me so I have to ask again.

What type of L2 bridge do I have to configure?
1. eth0 -> Internet interface
2. eth1 -> internal interface
3. new tap0 interface which IP is 192.168.0.1/24.

I tried out all of them without I was able to SSH into the server (that is the main goal).

On tap0 there aren't any traffic by ifconfig or tcpdump.

When the tunnel is up and the client got IP address from VirtualDHCP server (its IP is: 192.168.0.2 and DHCP range is: 192.168.0.10-20) there isn't new interface or anything. I think it is correct but I don't know how can I 'tcpdump' the client VPN traffic in this situation. I can't ping the IP of tap0 but I can ping the virtualDHCP server. From the server I can't ping virtualDHCP and client. The client IP is 192.168.0.10.
I don't understand what is the problem.

Please help me!

TIA,

aruzsi

Post by aruzsi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi,

Something happened!

I created a CentOS 7 VM in M$ Azure and I followed this doc:
http://wp.secretnest.info/archives/1529

Almost all worked except firewall rules because the default COS FW and the Azure security rules.
I used the last source file and the client was an Android mobile phone built in VPN client (L2TP+IPSec).

Maybe I understand the processes except I dont understand why needs dnsmasq+dhcpd.
I don't understand why my DigitalOcean's Ubuntu VM doesn't work. It is an older SoftEther and I used VirtualNAT, maybe that is the problem.

I don't know which ports have to open. I think HTTPS (TCP), ISAKMP (UDP), IPSEC-NAT-T (UDP).
L2TP port wasn't open. The other listeners were open (992,1194,5555).

I think more real examples would be cool in the doc or I didn't read carefully the examples.

TIA,

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:06 am

Why do you want to use VPN?
Waht's goal?