How to setup L2TP/IPsec VPN Server over WiFi connection?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
xryan

How to setup L2TP/IPsec VPN Server over WiFi connection?

Post by xryan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm

I am trying to set up a L2TP/IPsec VPN Server on my home broadband. However, the VPN server is setup on a Win 10 computer running over a WiFi connection and I am clueless how to proceed from here.

I believe bridging the ethernet adapter with the virtual hub will do but I am not able to select the WiFi adapter. Have tried securenat, I could connect to the server on the mobile phone but can't access internet.

Connection schematic as follows
Internet modem -> Wireless Router (192.168.0.1) -> WiFi Win 10 Computer (192.168.0.2)
Have enabled UDP ports 500 and 4500 in router.

Would appreciate advice please.

eastavin

Re: How to setup L2TP/IPsec VPN Server over WiFi connection

Post by eastavin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:50 am

xryan wrote:

> I believe bridging the ethernet adapter with the virtual hub will do but I am not
> able to select the WiFi adapter.
> > Would appreciate advice please.

Hi xryan. I did this a few days ago. You would only bridge to the ethernet adapter if you plan to use ethernet on your laptop. Look again when you go back to the bridging screen in Softether vpn server. Their should be a pull down menu where the ethernet can be seen and there you should find the name of your wifi hardware below.. for example it might say something like Atheros or some other name. if you see more than 1 or 2 and are unsure try googling the names until you find one that sounds like wifi radio hardware. Should work after that.

xryan

Post by xryan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. Nope can't find the wireless adapter (it's TP-Link WN727N). Even restarted the computer after installing. Please see attachment.

Anyone knows of a walkaround?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eastavin

Post by eastavin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

xryan
Have you tried pushing down arrow key after this pop up opens to see if there is anything hidden below out of sight? The first time I tried it I did not see my Ralink wifi device but somehow it appeared later.

xryan

Post by xryan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:22 pm

eastavin wrote:
> xryan
> Have you tried pushing down arrow key after this pop up opens to see if
> there is anything hidden below out of sight? The first time I tried it I
> did not see my Ralink wifi device but somehow it appeared later.

Yep I did. Even restarted numerous times. Anyone knows anyway to get the softether to recognise my WiFi ethernet device?

eastavin

Post by eastavin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:38 am

xryan at long last I found a reference in the Softether online manual that said that most wifi devices cant create a local bridge. In that writers opinion only a minority are created so as to work in this fashion. I guess I got lucky with the Ralink device in my HP laptop. Sorry for the bad news.

Here is one idea that might offer you a workaround. See section 3.6.5 and 3.6.6 the latter has a manual configure that might work. https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... al_Bridges

xryan

Post by xryan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks alot. This is most helpful.