VPN server running on Win7 machine connected via WIFI

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
BB1982

VPN server running on Win7 machine connected via WIFI

Post by BB1982 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello everybody!
First of all, I'd like to thank all experts who have created, developed and keep on supporting this very useful utility.
I come to my question: my goal is to be able to access the content of my home laptop with my iPhone when I'm abroad on 3G/4G network. It might be useful to remark the following:
- Laptop is running Win7 and it's connected via WiFi
- I'm perfectly able to establish a L2TP VPN connection if I connect the laptop to the home network via cabled LAN (I can even see my iPhone listed among the DHCP clients in the router's configuration page)
- Wireless adapter is by default not listed among those one can potentially use for a local bridge. Nevertheless, I changed the configuration file so that all network adapters can be chosen ("bool ShowAllInterfaces true") and as a result I could configure my local bridge with wireless (Status: Operating).
- With this setup, the iPhone tries to connect and, appartently, the connection could be established as the packets' traffic seems to be fine (I see it in the status of my virtual Hub), but after some seconds I get a message error on the iPhone saying that connection couldn't be established.
- I believe this has something to do with the IP assignment, because if I enable the virtual DHCP server I can have the iPhone connected, but I'm not able to "see" my home network, nor to surf internet.
What am I missing?

Thanks everybody in advance for the kind support.

xryan

Re: VPN server running on Win7 machine connected via WIFI

Post by xryan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Wonder how you do that? I edited the config file in notepad, then imported it and restarted but it didn't work for me. The wireless ethernet adapter still doesn't show..

BB1982

Post by BB1982 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:21 pm

All I did was to edit the config file the way I described...changed that flag from 'false' to 'true'

xryan

Post by xryan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks. Perhaps I can explore using securenat

BB1982

Post by BB1982 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:13 am

Could you also get the bridge with wifi working but no connection on client side?

xryan

Post by xryan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 am

I didn't manage to get the bridge with WiFi ethernet adapter working. It is still not listed in the dropdown list despite setting that variable to true...

BB1982

Post by BB1982 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 am

I've read somewhere that 'Internet Connection Sharing' could play a role in solving the issue I described.
If this is correct, which settings should I change?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 am

Did you create localbridge to WiFi adapter?
If so, localbridge doesn't work.

BB1982

Post by BB1982 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I've created a local bridge to my WiFi adapter. Interestingly, I see some packet traffic when the iPhone tries to connect... The problem is that after a while the connection drops and I get an erroe message on the mobile.
If not with a local bridge to the wifi adapter, is there any other workaround that would allow me to establish a VPN connection?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 am

Please use SecureNAT instead of localbridge.