PC-to-PC configuration with static IP (Linux)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
serya

PC-to-PC configuration with static IP (Linux)

Post by serya » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to configure SotfEther setup on 2 linux machines (Raspbian and Ubuntu). Also use a Windows machine for configuration.

I have 2 goals:
1. (primary) Remotely access the server behind NAT (Raspbian) and
2. (optional) Access internet from the remote network.
3. Automatic reconnection after disconnection and reboot.

Simple configuration (server has local bridge to eth0, windows client) seems working, but I can't access the sever itself (other machines in the network perfectly accessible).

I tried:
1. Connect eth0 devices on 2 Linux machines. It causes mess with DHCP and still can't access the server.
2. Tried connect 2 tap devices managed by the SoftEther servers. Didn't figure out how to configure them (since the don't exist at boot time). The server creates that devices but doesn't provide anything to configure them.
3. Tried to connect 2 manually managed tap devices (configured in /etc/network/interfaces). The interfaces look correctly configured but no traffic pass between them.

Any idea what to do with it?

thisjun

Re: PC-to-PC configuration with static IP (Linux)

Post by thisjun » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:57 am

I think you can access the server with No.3 way.

What IP address did you assigned on tap and client?

serya

Re: PC-to-PC configuration with static IP (Linux)

Post by serya » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi Thisjun,

#3 doesn't work. I looked into source code. It treats eternally created tap interfaces in exactly the same way as physical ethernet cards. But its own tap interfaces it creates package pumping thread.

I finally found a solution which works for me. Let's we have machine a in network A, and b in network B. And we want to access machine b.

The only working configuration I found so far is following. virtual hub on machine b needs 'local bridge' to a tap device (created in SoftEther, not configured externally) and connects to 'eth0' on machine a. The tap interface gets IP address from DHCP server in network A (I tried to assign static IP address but it didn't work reliably).

As result machine b has IP address in network A. DHCP could be configured to assign fixed address to this tap interface. So it can be accessible.

I guess that using SoftEther's built in DHCP server could also work. But it can fix the IP address. And also it makes configuration more complex (just using another tap interface on machine a doesn't work).