Cannot connect to server outside local network

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
kn4hh

Cannot connect to server outside local network

Post by kn4hh » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm

I am able to connect from my client laptop to the server by wired and wireless local network. I am unable to connect outside my network.. I have tried wifi hotspots at businesses as well as my Android wifi hotspot with no success. I realize there are many variables. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a place to start the troubleshooting process.

Thanks

mark.barl

Re: Cannot connect to server outside local network

Post by mark.barl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 pm

What type of VPN client? Softether Client or L2TP or another?

If Softether client
The first question would be, what port are you using for the VPN. By default it uses TCP 443, TCP 992, TCP1194 & TCP 5555 (You will see which ports in the server manager window listener list)
If L2TP it uses the following ports. UDP 500, UDP 1701 & UDP 4500

The port(s in the case of L2TP) that you are using need to be forwarded from your internet router to your VPN server. This needs to be done on your internet router.

how are you identifying your external connection? Do you have a static IP or are you using the built in Dynamic DNS? If dynamic, check that it has the correct address in. Click the Dynamic DNS Setting button on the manager window and it will tell you what you hostname is and show the currently configured IP address.

Ping the hostname from outside your network. Does it resolve correctly?

That should give you a start.

kn4hh

Post by kn4hh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks for your assistance. I am using Softether VPN Client on my laptop. The ip address I am using is by using ipchicken. I have ports 433, 992, and 5555 forwarded. If I ping my ip based on ip chicken, I get no lost packets. If I ping that ip outside my network on a wifi hotspot, I get no packets. It is a dynamic ip as it changes each time I boot up my host pc.

mark.barl

Post by mark.barl » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:43 am

I wouldn't necessarily expect a public hotspot to pass ICMP traffic or a router to reply to ICMP so the ping is not necessarily showing much.

I would expect port 443 to work (Check your post, was 433 a typo or have you forwarded the wrong port?)

It could depend on how the hotspot you are using is working, i would expect any to pass ports 443 as that is used for https. They may lock down other ports. Concentrate on port 443 for now as that will certainly be enabled from any wifi hotspot. The others may not be.

kn4hh

Post by kn4hh » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for the assistance. Yes, it was a typo. I have forwarded port 443. I am going to have my vehicle serviced tomorrow so I will have a lot of time to try their wifi hotspot. I will report on the results.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:25 am

I think you should use DDNS name instead of raw IP address.