NIC configuration question

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Abbey Chase

NIC configuration question

Post by Abbey Chase » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 pm

I am very new to SoftEther and I am trying to figure out how to execute the following setup.

There are three physical network cards in one computer, but only two of them are used (the third connection is used for a crossover connection to a custom appliance). There is one outward facing NIC (NIC01) and one inward facing NIC (NIC02). Obviously, NIC01 is connected to the internet and NIC02 is connected to an internal private network (10.0.0.0/8). I'm thinking this is a pretty generic setup.

I want to setup a VPN server such that the server is listening on NIC01 for incoming connections and when connecting, is routing the traffic through NIC02 to the internal network. I want each incoming connection to be given a static IP address (i.e. incoming connections will be given addresses in the 10.1.0.0/16).

I've trying to figure out how to set this up, but I am at a loss. Can anyone give me some pointers? I've setup the server with both "Remote Access VPN Server" and "Site-To-Site VPN Server or VPM Bridge".

Any tips to get me on my way?

UkrZilla

Re: NIC configuration question

Post by UkrZilla » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Please, read documentation.

You should create a virtial hub and create bridge between it and NIC02.
Then on the virtual hub create Virtual NAT and enable DHCP ( with needed adresses ) without default router and push route to your local to clients.

Thanks

Abbey Chase

Re: NIC configuration question

Post by Abbey Chase » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:04 pm

UkrZilla wrote:
> Please, read documentation.
>
> You should create a virtial hub and create bridge between it and NIC02.
> Then on the virtual hub create Virtual NAT and enable DHCP ( with needed
> adresses ) without default router and push route to your local to clients.
>
> Thanks

Thank you for the information. Although it wasn't the answer per say, it did help me understand enough to figure out the answer. Since I have to deal with static IP addresses, I did the following:

- I want the VPN client to be on the same subnet as the machines behind the VPN server. In this case, it's a 10.0.0.0/24 network, so once the virtual adapter was created using "niccreate Adapter001" in the VPN client, in the linux shell, I assigned a static address to the virtual adapter (since by default the SoftEther VPN Client assigns no IPv4 address to it) using "ifconfig vpn_adapter001 up 10.0.0.101 netmask 255.0.0.0". I could the call "accountconnect ..." and then ping machines that sat behind the VPN server successfully.