SoftEther VPN Clint for ChromeBook/ChromeOS

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
pajaro

SoftEther VPN Clint for ChromeBook/ChromeOS

Post by pajaro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 am

Aloha,

Has any user experience loading or installing SoftEther VPN Client for the ChromeBook/ChromeOS? If not could anyone provide me with suggestions for using a VPN on the ChromeBook that can access SoftEther VPN server on the SoftEther VPNGateWay. ChromeBook does come with OpenVPN however, knowledge of OpenVPN profile configurations are unknown for accessing SoftEther VPN server.

Pajaro
From the Big Island

jimerich

Re: SoftEther VPN Clint for ChromeBook/ChromeOS

Post by jimerich » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 am

The method that worked for me. HINT: If connecting from the Public Internet and your ISP blocks ports you may need to ask for the port to be opened, in addition to doing port forwarding on your router, to have Public Internet connections directed to SoftEther VPN Server (LAN IP address). Port # 1194 (or alternate port if NOT using the default, see below)
Click the "IPsec/L2TP" button to configure the SoftEther server:
Check the box "Enable L2TP Server Function (L2TP over IPsec)"
Note the "Default Virtual Hub" name that will be used in combination with the username in the Chrome client (see Client settings below).
Specify a "IPsec Pre-Shared Key:" in the text box.
Click OK
Click the "OpenVPN/MS-SSTP VPN" button:
Check the box "Enable OpenVPN Clone Server Function"
Use the default "UDP Ports to Listen for OpenVPN" 1194 (or specify alternate and apply above where indicated).

Chrome Client:
Specify the SoftEther VPN Server URL or IP address (HINT: this can be an internal IP address ONLY if the client is connecting on the LAN rather than the from the Public Internet). Optional: Modify "Service name". I chose the "L2TP/IPsec + Preshared key" from the drop down (see HINT below). Include the [IPsec Pre-Shared Key], username format [username]@[Default Virtual Hub] and [password] (as set in the SoftEther VPN server Users window). Optional: "OTP" and "Group Name" (I left them blank). Optional: click the checkbox "Save identity and password"
HINT: I didn't attempt using a Certificate to authenticate, so you may need to adjust the above if using certificates to authenticate. I also did NOT test using an Open VPN client although in theory it would work as well. HINT: SoftEther provides an OpenVPN client script if needed.

Click "Connect"

pajaro

Post by pajaro » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Aloha JIMerich,

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I will respond after I try your suggestion with the results.

Again, Thanks so much,

Regards,
Pajaro
from the Hawaii, The Big Island

jimerich

Post by jimerich » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 am

Hello Pajaro,
You are welcome, hopefully you can translate the instructions into clicks. I would have made this even more clear if I was sure it would get noticed, so I made some assumptions/simplifications about how to configure the VPN Server. That said if these instructions create confusion let me know and I'll clarify.

Best regards,
Jim

pajaro

Post by pajaro » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 am

Aloha JIMerich,

I made an attempt, but failed because of user problem - little brain-dead. I need to thinks this out more. I am using Chromebook's openVPN in the settings. I set the IP of a know softEther server from the list (Korea). But failed. Doing more research. Do I have to obtain information from my Window SoftEther Client VPN? Is the explanation, in the first paragraph, your method and the, second paragraph, is the explanation of the Chromebook openVPN? If so them I will take a look at my Windows softEther VPN Client settings. By the way does softEther VPN Client work with Windows 10?

By the way can I have the link where to find the SoftEther OpenVPN client script?

Thanks for thinking of me...

Regards,
Pajaro
Hawaii - The Big Island

jimerich

Post by jimerich » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Aloha Pajero,
Perhaps it would be useful to determine how you hope to use SoftEther.
I'm familiar with two purposes of a VPN. The first being to establish a secure connection between two points so that the traffic flowing in either direction between the two points is in encrypted.

The second being a way to present your computer session as if it is occurring from a different Geographic location, this method is typically used when a server on the internet is restricted to serving information to specific Geographic locations. Eg. Enabling users from one country accessing information from a foreign country, whose information is restricted to the foreign country's users.
My instruction was designed to help in the first scenario, not in the second scenario. So first I described what needs to happen on the softether server configuration and then I describe what needs to happen on the Chrome VPN client.
Therefore if your objective is to achieve the VPN as described in the second scenario above, you will not have success using softether, unless there is a company (Korean) using softether to provide the services that the second scenario serves. If that exists, and I am not familiar with a service provider of this sort using softether, you would need to get configuration information from that service provider in order to use the VPN client on Chrome to connect to their softether VPN server.
SoftEther is working well on my Windows Network using various Windows versions including Windows 10, the VPN Server however is running on a Netgear ReadyNas device. As for the link where to find the SoftEther OpenVPN client script, it's actually a function built into the Softether VPN server configuration app.

Hopefully this helps get you to the right target to achieve your objective, let me know if I can assist further.

Kind regards, Jim

pajaro

Post by pajaro » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Aloha JIMerich,

The scenario I am looking for is having a VPN connection to hid my browser(s). Therefore, vendors cannot track my browser(s). All my connections will go through my VPN. I use the softEther VPN client to achieve this using Windows. I want to do this using my Chromebook. There is NO softEther VPN Client for my Chromebook. Therefore, I am hoping OpenVPN can be used on a Chromebook to access softEther Server services. There are many paid VPN's logging your connection. SoftEther Server do not log your connection.

Hope that explains what I am trying to achieve...

Regards,
Pajaro

jimerich

Post by jimerich » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:52 am

Aloha Pajaro
Do you have a working connection with your Windows 10 computer? If so you will need to use some of the same connection details using the Chrome Client, however it might be necessary to get a little more information from the service provider you're using.

Let me know and I'll see whether I can help figure out the details and what you need to ask your provider for, as the Chrome Client seems to need some additional parameters, that aren't required by the Windows 10 Client (at least in my situation).

Please DO NOT send me the actual information that you use for you login. If I can help I will only describe the field names where you need to add your personal information to make it work.

Best regards,
Jim

cmd wh0ami

Post by cmd wh0ami » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I was able to run SoftEther Client on my Chromebook by puttting the chromebook in Dev mode and installing Crouton and a CLI Ubuntu image.

Directions to install Crouton and Ubuntu here: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/i ... romebook#0

Directions to set up SoftEther Client on Linux with every possible issue SOLVED here: https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-addres ... toral.html
VPN Discord invite: https://discord.gg/QByKXA9