slow download on ubuntu (but not windows or centos)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
erkwok

slow download on ubuntu (but not windows or centos)

Post by erkwok » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:56 am

hi all

here is the problem i have facing now. I wanted to setup SEvpn on my linux box (ubuntu 16.10). the installation went well and the vpn client (iphone with ovpn, windows 7 with SE client). however, I ran the speed test, the download speed (from the server end network to remote client was extremely slow ~100kbps) but the upload speed is normal ~over 50Mbps).

With the same SE vpn server setup on window, I didn't have any problem, both up/down speed were over 50Mbps. That made me started to think it is the linux problem.

I setup a s lan environment to test it out, the result confirmed that when SEVPN Server is on linux, the download speed (server-side to remote client) is very slow.

here is the lab setup
Server side:
1x SE VPN server on Win7 (call it server-win7)
1x SE VPN server on Ubuntu server 16.10 (call it server-ubuntu)
1x PC for iperf traffic (call it test-pc)

Client side:
1x SE VPN client + Openvpn client, both are on Win7 with iperf running (call it client)

once the tunnel is up the client run iperf to test-pc (with and without -R on iperf to test both direction)
case1: client connects to server-win7 SE vpn, iperf between client and test-pc, the result shows up/down over 50Mbps
case2: client connects to server-ubuntu SE vpn, iperf between client and test-pc, the result shows up/down is 50Mbps+/100kbps.

Anyone has similar expereince?

UPDATE: I added another SE VPN server running on CentOS7. it has problem at all in terms of the speed. working well like the SE VPN on windows. Now the problem falls into the ubuntu server.

thisjun

Re: slow download on ubuntu (but not windows or centos)

Post by thisjun » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 am

Did you use localbridge or SecureNAT?