VPN Bridge not working on Linux Amazon EC2 hosts

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jshafer817

VPN Bridge not working on Linux Amazon EC2 hosts

Post by jshafer817 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am

Hi! I can get the latest soft ether to work with an Amazon EC2 Windows host, but not Linux. I tried Ubuntu and RedHat. Tried the latest version of soft ether. My home network is running the VPN Server, and I have some amazon instances running as a VPN Bridge, but I can only get Windows to work. I am using the Lan to Lan Bridge configuration. I also tried the Level 3 Switch configuration and the Linux instances can't see the virtual gateway ip addresses once connected to the VPN Server at my house, but Windows can.

Curious if anyone knows why or has ran into this. Thanks!

I REALLY like SoftEther. Thanks for all the efforts.

jshafer817

Re: VPN Bridge not working on Linux Amazon EC2 hosts

Post by jshafer817 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:48 am

I thought I would update this to say that I can't get the VPN Bridge or Server to work on Ubuntu running at my house either. Although I can get the VPN Server to run on my router running DD-WRT, running with the L2 scenario, not the L3.

Not really sure why it won't work with Linux. Maybe I should try an older version?

jshafer817

Re: VPN Bridge not working on Linux Amazon EC2 hosts

Post by jshafer817 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:39 am

So I realized that it was working. Hahaha, you just can't talk to the VPN Server\Bridge directly unless the computer hosting that service is using a secondary adapter because of the restriction on the linux kernel, which I read somewhere. Cool. Same with a Windows Amazon EC2 instance and the Layer3 Switch. I seem to have 2% packet loss with the Layer3 Switch, but not with Layer2 bridging.