Disable split tunnelling?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
danieldaniel

Disable split tunnelling?

Post by danieldaniel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:45 pm

I have SoftEther VPN running fine on a Raspberry Pi, but it looks like I'm getting split tunnelling which I'd like to switch off. I want *all* traffic to go via the VPN, can anyone explain how I do this?

I think i've got split tunnelling enabled because I can access internal resources on the network fine, but when I use a IP geolocation web service it isn't telling me the location of my VPN server but the location of where I actually am.

Thanks,
Daniel

a.woll

Re: Disable split tunnelling?

Post by a.woll » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Split tunnel ist client based.
SEVPN-Client has a GUI option to do so, but if you use OpenVPN I think it's getting difficult.

danieldaniel

Post by danieldaniel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

a.woll wrote:
> Split tunnel ist client based.
> SEVPN-Client has a GUI option to do so, but if you use OpenVPN I think it's
> getting difficult.

thanks for the response. I thought split-tunnelling would be a server-side configuration. When I've set up Microsoft DirectAccess in the past this option is definitely server-side, so had assumed the same.

I use a Windows 10 computer, with the built-in VPN client. I'll check the config there otherwise might have to switch to the SEVPN-Client.

Cheers

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 am

I think split-tunneling isn't related to access the internet via VPN server.
I think problem is just whether the client use default gateway address or not.
http://blog.degree.no/2011/10/permanent ... n-windows/

danieldaniel

Post by danieldaniel » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am

thanks, I think you're right.

I spotted yesterday that my client doesn't have a default gateway, so i think this could be it. Now I just need to work out: a) why it doesn't, and b) how to get dhcp to give it one

danieldaniel

Post by danieldaniel » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:05 pm

OK, I have enabled SecureNAT based on what I'm reading online. I have set DHCP to give out the 192.168.30.1 IP as the default gateway.

Clients connect OK but they either have a gateway of "0.0.0.0" (mobile phone) or blank (windows 10 laptop).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how i get the gateway set on clients, or a better way to do this?

danieldaniel

Post by danieldaniel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi all - i'm really struggling with this. Any help would be most appreciated!

I simply want to be able to force my VPN clients to get a default gateway, thereby sending ALL traffic over the VPN rather. I'm trying to avoid using the SoftEther VPN client if possible because one of my devices is a phone, for which there is no VPN client other than the in-built one.

All VPN functionality works fine, bar this final piece where I want to send all internet traffic over the VPN. No clients get a default gateway and it looks like traffic is being split. In order to access internal (to the VPN server) resources I have to specify the FQDN.

I think my issue is that clients either have no default gateway at all, or their gateway is set to 0.0.0.0 - i imagine i could force static IP settings but, again, can't do this on the phone.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 am

I think the client ignore VPN default gateway by setting.
Please check client settings again.