SoftEther for Remote Hyper V 2012 server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
timboau

SoftEther for Remote Hyper V 2012 server

Post by timboau » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 am

I have a remote HyperV 2012 server with many virtual Windows machines (including pfsense) is there a way I can install a server for SoftEther that will communicate with all the virtual machine running on the server (all in one subnet) I've read about HyperV not having the ability to put network port in promiscuous mode (its working great on another remote esxi server!)

Thanks

timboau

Re: SoftEther for Remote Hyper V 2012 server

Post by timboau » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Guess thats still a no - your product cant work on Hyper-V environment as a VPN endpoint?

fenice

Post by fenice » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:01 am

timboau wrote:
> Guess thats still a no - your product cant work on Hyper-V environment as a
> VPN endpoint?

You haven't really given much information about your exact problem or what fixes you've tried so far but you can set the NICs to promiscuous mode, see here: https://cloudbase.it/hyper-v-promiscuous-mode/

In any case, that's rather a tortuous method so I'd suggest you try secure SecureNAT as it's fairly trivial to configure and see if that does what you want.
Regards

Bill

timboau

Post by timboau » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:07 am

Thanks for the reply!

I want to setup a SoftEther server as a VPN server for remote single clients to access the subnet it resides on within the HyperV environment. (then communicating to other virtual machines)

I've had no luck with my experimenting in activating the "Local Bridge" via the virtual LAN adapter (remote clients don't receive DHCP etc)

I looked at the referenced link however I dont think that that appropriate for this situation; please tell me otherwise and I'll investigate further! :)

Is there any other workarounds or methods I could use to have remote clients access the virtual subnet?

fenice

Post by fenice » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:42 pm

As I mentioned in my previous post, you should try SecureNAT - I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work and you don't have to bother with promiscuous mode. I use SecureNAT on my VM inside ESXi and it works well with complete access to my local LAN.
Regards

Bill

timboau

Post by timboau » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:35 pm

OK I'll try that... I have no problem at all on esxi - it just works! Hyper V is seeming to be a different beast though.

timboau

Post by timboau » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:52 pm

Bloody helll - that was easy :)

Thanks so much for your assistance - its a little tricky trying to work out some of the meanings in the descriptions for the functions of SoftEther. But yes that did the trick perfectly (Setting up its own internal Virtual NAT in the Virtual HUB on the Virtual server)

Thanks again