VPN Bridge

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
AndreYPB

VPN Bridge

Post by AndreYPB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to SoftEther but not to VPNs. I've set-up softEther to connect my local server (Windows 2008) with my cloud server (Win 2012) using the VPN Bridge.

The 2008 server is running as the Hub, and the 2012 server is the bridge. The connection has been established successfully but I cannot ping or access either network from the two points. Please help

thank you

pschmehl

Re: VPN Bridge

Post by pschmehl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Did you also create the local bridge between the virtual adapter and the physical adapter on each host?
Retired and enjoying my freedom

raafat

Post by raafat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Is your topology L3 VPN or L2 VPN ?.

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I'm using L2 VPN and yes I set up the local bridge on each end point. I rebooted both machines due to the warning message that comes up.

I tried deleting and re-adding the local bridge on each host.

just a few things that may or may not shed some light...

The cloud machine is a physical server running on it's own hardware in a data-centre. The other server is a VM running on VMware - I enabled promiscuous mode as recommended.

Thanks,

Andre

raafat

Post by raafat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:30 am

Since your topology is a L2 VPN, then your IP network on the two sides should be the same. What is the subnet that you are using ?. Have you set that subnet up on both sides ?

raafat

Post by raafat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 am

By the way, is your communication a server-to-server one ?, or many-to-on, many-to-many ?

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Raafat,

I would like it to be many to many, I usually setup router to router IPSec VPNs which allows configuring the subnets between the two sites.

However, I couldn't see the options for this in SoftEther. I did note that the L2VPN config is only displayed on the Hub / Main SoftEther Server and states this is for clients such as Smart phones and computer access.

On the bridge server - The L2VPN is greyed out.

Thanks,

Andre

raafat

Post by raafat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Hello There!. Sorry but I got a little bit confused because of your last post. Per your desire, I would like to suggest to install a bridge on the remote site(you have to install a SE bridge on a supported machine, metal or virtual)and connect that bridge to your main site((you have to install a SE server on a supported machine, metal or virtual) and, since you desire a L2 VPN topology, you have to make sure that both sites' IP networks are identical, that is, both sites use the same IP network. With this topology no need for "Routing Instructions". And of course every host on both sites will be able to talk to every host on the other site. Are you cool with that suggestion ?. let me know before we start working on the instructions for that topology.

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi that's what I did in the setup but did not use same IP range on both.

The cloud server has a public IP on the NIC, but I also assigned a private IP to the NIC too.

I am willing to try as you suggested - as the cloud server is only 1 machine so I am willing to make it have the same private IP as the network server.

Cheers,

Andre

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello There!. Are you trying to connect one machine to another one ?, or a network to one machine ?, or a network to another network ?. Knowing that would help us clearing your situation's details up (:.

Good luck (:

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:11 pm

I need the private network which behind a firewall using 192.168 range to connect to one cloud server which is on a public range.

thanks

raafat

Post by raafat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Per your last post, I would like to suggest to install a SE client on the server that is could-hosted. Then connect that SE client to a virtual hub(on this site you need a SE server) that is being present on the other side, then bridge that virtual hub to an Ethernet interface that is connected to your internal network, the same network that you desire every single host being hosted on it to be able to communicate with that server that is cloud-hosted. Since your topology is a L2 VPN topology, you must a assign the server that is cloud-hosted an IP address that is in the same range as your internal network is.

Let's see what you get back!

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi There,

It's taken me a long time to get back round to this, but i have finally done what you have suggested.

I created a VPN Server to the internal network

I created client on the cloud server and connected to internal network

But I can't see where to make a bridge in the VPN server on internal server?

I cannot ping or access other servers from cloud - only ping VPN server.

Please help and thank you

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi,

I found the bridge connection.

The Client is getting IP address from the Internal network but it keeps losing the IP then "identifying" network.

The server is in VMware environment so I enabled promiscous mode. I also tried enabling jumbo frames and restarting but it is the same issue.

Any advice?

Thank you

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 am

In this configuration, cloud host joins to the internal network.
So, the local bridge isn't required in cloud side.

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Last edited by AndreYPB on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndreYPB

Post by AndreYPB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

thisjun wrote:
> In this configuration, cloud host joins to the internal network.
> So, the local bridge isn't required in cloud side.

Correct! That is why I don't have a local bridge on the cloud side!

I have a bridge on the internal network side - which bridges the VPN Hub with the Local network. Are you suggesting that the bridge isn't needed on the internal network?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

IF there isn't DHCP server in the network, please assign a IP address manually.