SoftEther as VPN to AWS VPC

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
moatazelmasry

Re: SoftEther as VPN to AWS VPC

Post by moatazelmasry » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes this is a viable solution.

Do one of the following:
- Have some instance (EC2 or whatever else) with a static IP address and install SoftEther on it
- Ask your ISP for a static IP address

In both cases, configure the main security group, assigned to all instances, to allow this static IP into your VPC

There's indeed a nat gateway in the VPC, but this is mainly for allowing instances inside the VPC to communicate with instances outside the VPC, not the other way around.

Hope this helps

xortim

Post by xortim » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 pm

I currently use SoftEther for access into my client's VPCs - it works great. I started a tutorial series on how to setup SoftEther for use with a large amount of users. I still need to finish it, but the start should get you off the ground from the SoftEther side of things:
https://ringzero.io/foss-multi-protocol-vpn-part-1/

Additional reading for AWS is available here: https://github.com/open-guides/og-aws

The previous posts have good advise - assign a public IP to the instance running your VPN server. Use DNS in case you need to change the IP for some reason (you won't need to redistribute your VPN configuration to anyone - because your DNS resolver will take care of that).

Do *not* use SecureNAT in EC2. Switching to dnsmasq and using iptables/firewalld will increase performance, sometimes by orders of magnitude, as well as increase the reliability of the VPN service.

moatazelmasry

Post by moatazelmasry » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Cool happy to hear things work out well.

The ringzero is not working

The github reading is a great resource. Thanks!!!