SoftEther VPN stopped working (no IP address assigned)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
TroubledUser

SoftEther VPN stopped working (no IP address assigned)

Post by TroubledUser » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:54 am

Hello, i really don't know what do anymore, I tried everything i could think of with no use. i hope someone here can help me.

My operating system is windows 10, I've been using softether vpn client for a couple of years now without much problems.
But recently my stupid laptop decided to update itself, i woke up to a windows 10 update. i didn't think much of it since there was some UI changes, regular update i thought, one of the new things was a windows defender system.
Anyways when i tried to connect to the vpn as usual i noticed that my virtual adapted was gone since it told me that i had to instar a virtual adapted, i agreed and it installed like usual. But this time whenever i try to connect to something it just gives me this

http://i.imgur.com/IUbMPZJ.png
Without any confirmation that my ip address has been changed.

I tried disabling my firewall entirely, disabling the windows defender, using different builds since mine was an old one, tried using build 4.20 and 4.21 the beta with no use, i tried even restoring my system before the windows update and still no use.

Im not a big expert on VPN's and stuff but i will try to provide information as much as i can, i really hope someone can help because im really troubled by this.

legharb

Re: SoftEther VPN stopped working (no IP address assigned)

Post by legharb » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi TroubledUser.

Not sure this would help but I just encountered an issue in which my VPN client was hosed. Upon reinstallation of the latest client, I had no VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Server to connect to.

Previously I believe that I had simply downloaded the VPN Client only, and I thought it came prepackaged with the VPNGATE Relay Server, but could be wrong about that.

So my suggestion for you is to do a simple uninstall, and then reinstall. The VPNGate Relay Server comes with the client built in (Download SoftEther VPN Client + VPN Gate Client Plugin).

You can read about and download the VPNGate here - http://www.vpngate.net/en/

Direct link for download - http://www.vpngate.net/en/download.aspx

You will be downloading a .ZIP file. Once it is downloaded, open and click the vpngate-client-v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24.exe file.

Hope that helps !

TroubledUser

Post by TroubledUser » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Thank you for your reply, but i already did that many times before posting here, still no use.

legharb

Post by legharb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Troubleduser.

Did you by chance check to make sure the service was running ?

It is the softether vpn client service. Make sure it is started and set to automatic.

Just an idea...

tom

legharb

Post by legharb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:57 pm

Another idea...

since you recreated the VPN, once you double click on 'VPN GATE Public VPN Servers' a new window opens with all the connections you can VPN into. At the bottom of that screen, make sure you have chosen the correct Virtual Network Adaptor. Use the pull down and try to choose another.

Check your proxy settings and make sure they are set to Direct TCP... that is on the lower left.

If you need a pic for this, to see where I am, let me know.

tom

TroubledUser

Post by TroubledUser » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:38 am

legharb wrote:
> Another idea...
>
> since you recreated the VPN, once you double click on 'VPN GATE Public VPN
> Servers' a new window opens with all the connections you can VPN into. At
> the bottom of that screen, make sure you have chosen the correct Virtual
> Network Adaptor. Use the pull down and try to choose another.
>
> Check your proxy settings and make sure they are set to Direct TCP... that
> is on the lower left.
>
> If you need a pic for this, to see where I am, let me know.
>
> tom

Thank you for your reply, after you suggested i checked the service and it was running and set to automatic already, i checked the proxy setting and it was already set to direct TCP.
Although for choosing the correct virtual adapter, im not sure how to do that since there isn't any button to press on this screen like you said
http://i.imgur.com/HkQSgNo.png

legharb

Post by legharb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Howdy,

Thanks for sending the pic. What I find interesting is that after I double click on the 'VPN GATE Public VPN Servers' I see an option to chose one of three Virtual Network Adaptors, as seen in the picture I uploaded to this SoftEther User Forum. I highly suspect this is where the problem resides, but need to think about, and test, how to resolve this.

Not sure if this works with Windows 10, but did you check all the services in MSCONFIG to ensure that everything was starting properly? It could have become disabled during the Windows 10 update.

Something else you should check... to see if they are disabled. In Windows 7 ( which I have ), on the lower right hand side of the screen I can right click on the thing that looks like a triangle. This opens up to Open Network and Sharing Center. Here I can see the three VPN Clients that were created with SoftEther VPN Client Manager. Check out the second pic I attached. The three highlighted in blue are the three associated with the program. So that leads me to a couple more questions or ideas.

When I open the SoftEther program, I see three adaptors on the lower portion of the screen.

Do you see one or more VPN Adaptors in the SoftEther program for you? I attached a picture of this also.
I apologize for this but, I cannot recall if you tried to create new VPN Adaptors with the SoftEther App??

Anyway, I think we will find the problem shortly.

Please check out the pics I attached. Feel free to let me know your thoughts or what you are seeing.

Thanks,

tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

legharb

Post by legharb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Note... there are three pics in the attachments, although it is a little hard to discern that.

legharb

Post by legharb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I hate quoting anyone, but from your original post you had said -

"Anyways when i tried to connect to the vpn as usual i noticed that my virtual adapted was gone since it told me that i had to instar a virtual adapted, i agreed and it installed like usual. But this time whenever i try to connect to something it just gives me this...."

You did try and create a VPN adaptor through the SoftEther app, correct?

When you create one, do you see it as being created in the lower portion of the SoftEther App screen, as per the picture? Do you see one or more created when you open Network and Sharing Center?

I kind of already asked these questions, but just wanted to make sure I was clear.

Thanks Again,

tom

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:34 am

Please try windows-10 recovery options.