VPN server and dial in client are using same subnet

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
amigaituk

VPN server and dial in client are using same subnet

Post by amigaituk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Please let me know if this is possible so I can make the change on the server's subnet if not

VPN server and client are at different physical locations behind their own routers

As a test I connected to the VPN server from a different physical location but this was using a different subnet and I was able to get an IP address from the server and browse the internet

When I connect from the client that has the same subnet as the server, I am unable to connect to the internet

I can see the default gateway is missing on when connecting from the client with the same subnet, and I can appreciate the traffic is unable to be routed to the correct physical location over the VPN because it is normal practice to connect with different subnets but i was hoping this was only the case when doing a LAN to LAN site link

It would be a nuisance having to reconfigure the server's subnet as the site has a BT VDSL router which if my customer decided to factory reset when I am on holiday they would mess everything up and I would have to deal with it over the phone

If for example I had 250 clients that are connecting how am I to know every single one's subnet without asking them to remoting in and setting up the VPN, I would need to guess a subnet that no one else is using on the server and hope no other client is using it, it would be unlikely that I would be this unlucky but it might happen although most end users are using class C subnets of 192.168.0.0 192,168,1.0 192.168.2.0 and perhaps a few others like Buffalo who I think use 192.168.16.0

Also, if anyone knows the answer to this question please let me know, it is just in theory though

The customer has a Draytek Vigor 2830n v2 and I can easily set up a VPN on that in L2TP over IPSec mode, I am curious if both server and client have the same subnet if the Draytek software is smart enough to route the traffic over the VPN accordingly? I will ask their tech support and update this post once I know, it's just in theory and I don't want to use that router as I really like SoftEther and want to roll it out to other customers

This is my first install of SoftEther, I am not in anyway and expert but I can understand the basics of networking hopefully demonstrated above in my post

amigaituk

Re: VPN server and dial in client are using same subnet

Post by amigaituk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Just spoke to Draytek and they said if client and server are on same subnets and a client PC tries to contact an IP and there are 2 devices using the same IP (one on each physical site) the local side will get priority

So I should imagine it is just easier to change the server side subnet for SoftEther to work correctly and if the customer needs to factory reset their BT ADSL router I will have to stress to them that need to know how to change the router back to the correct subnet

I think I will plan ahead and designate more than 1 static IP on desktops in the office so that one of them can be used to administrate the BT router in such an event

thisjun

Re: VPN server and dial in client are using same subnet

Post by thisjun » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 am

What is your purpose of VPN?