Installation of Softether VPN server on Fedora39

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ajm

Installation of Softether VPN server on Fedora39

Post by ajm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:08 pm

Having read that Fedora is one of the preferred distributions for Softether, I have installed it on a Fedora39 server instance created for this specific purpose. I found, however, that the instructions to achieve a successful deployment were not up to date. In particular, the handling of linux system services now requires the use of systemd and files set up in this paradigm rather than the init.d system described in the documentation for the stable releases of Softether (although Fedora39 purports to effect a conversion, the results were ineffective).
In order to achieve a functioning system where the vpnserver daemon started appropriately, without immediately shutting down before the spawning of the secondary forked process, I was obliged to use systemd set up in a fashion similar to that proposed in the files for Softether v5 (which is not mentioned at all in the documentation of the 4.xx versions provided as stable). Although this was not without educational value for myself who knew nothing of Fedora before starting, the process has cost me several hours of time which was not really necessary to be spent in the process of setting up a system which is presented as well documented and stable.
I would therefore suggest and request that the Softether documentation is updated so that the advice is correct for current linux versions.

solo

Re: Installation of Softether VPN server on Fedora39

Post by solo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 pm

Here is an update to the documentation you request.

SoftEther v4/v5 works on all Linux distributions and runs like any generic process - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=start+with+systemd

shakibamoshiri

Re: Installation of Softether VPN server on Fedora39

Post by shakibamoshiri » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm

updating docs are pretty hard,
the source repo has been updated for a systemd file
check this out
https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEth ... er.service