Connected to VPN LAN, but no WAN access?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
cybrute

Connected to VPN LAN, but no WAN access?

Post by cybrute » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi, I am pretty new to vpn networking in general. I just setup a softether vpn server on my Netgear r7000 running kong-DD-WRT.

I am able to connect just fine using the softether client software, DHCP seems to work fine I get assigned an IP address with the same subnet and I can access all the machines in the LAN - however the problem I am having is that once I am connected and I get an IP address I no longer have access to the WAN I can't surf the web or anything outside of the vpn.. does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

here is some screenshots, and a copy of my server config - http://pastebin.com/6GuqaBkz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moatazelmasry

Re: Connected to VPN LAN, but no WAN access?

Post by moatazelmasry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't have a dd-wrt installed, so I can only try to guess here...

It might be that you need to create a bridge between your SoftEther subnet (assume 192.168.30.1) and your WAN interface on dd-wrt

Another solution is to use a bridge on SoftEther instead of SecureNAT and also bind SoftEther to your WAN interface

cybrute

Post by cybrute » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 am

Hi moatazelmasry :)

Thank you for the input - I assumed the VPN created a bridge automatically by default during the installation, I will try to see if I can create a bridge between the WAN "br0" interface and the VPN.

I also just tried the virtual SecureNat feature which gets around the Wan access problem... but using that feature means being on a different subnet which is what I don't want - ( it does route the traffic and I can access the LAN machines but not vice versa.

cybrute

Post by cybrute » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 am

Well seems to be an issue likely related to the ddwrt fw implementation of softether - I ran the same configuration on a linux server behind the router and all works as it should :) although not to discourage someone
wanting to setup vpn server on ddwrt - using the SecureNat and virtual dhcp features will work just fine too if that's what you need.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:16 am

If you don't need to access to the internet via VPN, default gateway should be deleted.