vpn client references incorrect certificate details

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mook

vpn client references incorrect certificate details

Post by mook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 pm

This is posted at openvpn android forum. Not sure where problem lies, posting here as well:

I previously had a working vpn setup using softether vpn server in a vmware environment. Logged in via android with user/password and certificate. Built a new server again running softether vpn. Server starts with no errors, can login and configure fine via softether admin.

PROBLEM:
Logging in via android client, the client is showing a verify error, pointing to my OTHER vpn certificate. I have the NEW certificate copied on to the phone, and the profile is correctly pointing to it. I looked everywhere for what to change, can't figure it out. Even deleted the new server vpn config file and created from scratch - no go. The only error may be related to this: a new server certificate has been set
if you are using openvpn protocols, please mind that you may have to update the inline certificate data in the openvpn configuration file. This was a message which popped up within the softether vpn dialog that may point to the culprit, but I have searched the internet to no avail.

What is pointing to the other certificate details? If so, where is that changed? The above notification reference from softether doesn't tell me where to change anything for the 'linline' information.

mook

Re: vpn client references incorrect certificate details

Post by mook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 pm

I reset the VPN server via gui admin to factory defaults, erasing all config settings, recreated a new connection for the android client. Once I connect via android client, it still references the old certificate details, although it is clearly pointing to the new one.

mook

Post by mook » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 pm

I removed all references in registry (windows 7) for softether. Nothing was installed, yet running the softether admin gui still wrote references in registry. Removed all temp files in windows as well. Rebooted. Re-ran softether admin gui, created a new certificate. Imported in openvpn for android app, STILL errors and points to the incorrect CN name details for a certificate/server that is not being referenced.

I'm starting to think that softether vpn server sucks.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:19 am

Please try to get new configuration file and import it.
Because the error is caused by incorrect server cert instead of client cert .