vpnbridge on macOS to vpnserver on macOS local bridge?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
nstuyvesant

vpnbridge on macOS to vpnserver on macOS local bridge?

Post by nstuyvesant » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:17 am

The Documentation section 3.6.11 (English) suggests that it may be possible now to have vpnserver running on macOS connected to a vpnbridge on macOS using local bridge.

Section 7.5 (English), https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... ix_Systems, states, "The local bridge function cannot be used on Unix systems other than Linux and Solaris."

Can I have vpnserver and vpnbridge on two Macs and setup and create a layer 2 bridge between them with the latest version of SoftEther?

Should I expect any limitations?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

osayb

Re: vpnbridge on macOS to vpnserver on macOS local bridge?

Post by osayb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 am

Hi nstuyvesant,

I installed the latest softether vpn server 4.22 build 9634 on 2 of my Mac minis and I could successfully create local bridges on both macs as well as cascade connection between 2 softether servers to have L2 site-to-site VPN connection. I think the documents are just out-dated.

You need to add one more ethernet port by adding something like Thunderbolt ethernet adapter as an dedicated ethernet port for local bridge, or create ethernet bridge (bridged to en0) using macOS's system preferences and then create local bridge to that macOS's bridge port if you only have 1 ethernet port.

nstuyvesant

Post by nstuyvesant » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Osayb,

Thank you so much for your reply. Sounds like 7.5 of the docs are outdated which is good news for those of us on macOS.

Have you found any performance differences running the local bridge on macOS rather than Windows or Linux?

Previously, I had a Windows Server virtual machine running on my Mac Mini acting as the VPN Server. That could not have been great for performance. Trying to simplify and get rid of the vm and just go native macOS all the way.

Best,
Nate

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 am

Localbridge of MacOS is not good at performance.

osayb

Post by osayb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 am

nstuyvesant,

correct. most of the documents related to the Linux/macOS local bridge (including 7.5) seem out-dated. I don't use windows machines so I don't know if there's performance degradation. I have been using it to connect 2x LANs in Japan and the US and it looks fine to me so far.

Thanks,