Default gateway disappears

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
APires

Default gateway disappears

Post by APires » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 pm

First of all, sorry if I'm asking something obvious, but I just starting to use SoftEther and I am new to this whole VPN thing.

I installed SoftEther server on a computer at work (Windows 2008R2) and the client on my home computer (Windows 10 professional). It has been working for almost an week, but two days ago I started losing my Internet connection, and after some investigations I noticed that the default gateway on my network card configuration was gone. I added the missing information, closed the dialogue box, and, when I went to confirm the change it was missing again. Then I remembered that I had the SoftEther client on, and disconnected it. Immediately the default gateway reappeared and the Internet returned to normal.

Does anyone has any idea of what is going on, if I did something the wrong way or if I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance.

APires

Re: Default gateway disappears

Post by APires » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I just tried it on a virtual machine, also running Windows 10, and I got the same result, connecting to a VPN removes the default gateway from the network card settings and doesn't (visibly) allow any changes.

Does this happen only to me? Is it normal? An answer would be good.

JimG

Post by JimG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:57 pm

I think what you're seeing is in the nature of any VPN connection were all traffic is routed down the VPN pipe. Check your routing table (route print - on windows) and you should see that the 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 route for the OS is the default gateway of the logical network into which you've tunneled.

It's the job of the VPN client app and VPN server app to sent packets to the VPN server using the hardware NIC's default gateway. The OS has to send traffic THRU the tunnel to the def gw at the other end.

JimG

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 am

SoftEther VPN Client for Windows only adds static route to a VPN server.
However it doesn't touch the default gateway settings.

If the default gateway disappear from routing table, it's normal.
It may be overwritten by new default gateway of virtual NIC.