OPENVPN ON VPNGATE IS NOT WORKING AS OF 1 APR 2017 !!!

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
RobinTh

Re: OPENVPN ON VPNGATE IS NOT WORKING AS OF 1 APR 2017 !!!

Post by RobinTh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 am

I found many users have the same problem.

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 am

Oh thank god it's not only me. I don't know what went wrong, it's obviously something on their end. Openvpn was working absolutely beautifully. I am devastated it isn't working anymore. :( I really hope they get whatever the problem is fixed ASAP.

woodrock

Post by woodrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 am

hollowzen wrote:
> Glad to know it's not only me. This seems to be caused by Comodo finally
> putting their transition to SHA-2 into effect at April 1st
> (https://www.comodo.com/e-commerce/SHA-2-transition.php). Hopefully they
> will address this issue soon.

I noticed something odd starting on April 1st, which I just want to ask if it's the same issue.

1. Before April 1st, I was able to download almost any openvpn file from vpngate.net, and it would work with OpenVPN on Windows XP SP3. The ratio of BAD-to-GOOD *.ovpn files on vpngate.net was something like 1:10 (which is, as I understand it, by design).

2. After April 1st, and up to today, the ratio of BAD-to-GOOD *.ovpn files on vpngate.net was something like 9:1 or even 10:0, meaning that almost every *.ovpn file downloaded off of vpngate.net was bad.

3. Yet, if I used SoftEther to connect to VPNgate, then the files worked (mostly) with a ratio back to 1:10 of bad to good files.

Is this thread talking about the same problem where only the *.ovpn files downloaded off of the vpngate.net web site are what seemed to "go bad" as of about April 1st of this year?

NOTE: What I mean by "bad" is that when I run the *.ovpn files in OpenVPN, they either:
a. Stop at the line: "UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]"
b. Or they time out with: "TCP: connect to [AF_INET] failed, will try again in 5 seconds: Connection timed out (WSAETIMEDOUT)"
c. Or they failed with a sequence ending in "Restart pause, 2 second(s)"

Here is one such sequence:
-> OpenSSL: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
-> TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
-> TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
-> TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
-> SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
-> Restart pause, 2 second(s)

My question is whether this issue of bad-to-good openvpn *.ovpn files being served on the web site vpngate.net went from about 1 bad file to about 10 good files before April 1st, to about 10 bad files for every 10 files on the vpngate.net web site after April 1st?

Is this the same problem as the OP reported?

PLEASE NOTE: The SoftEther selection process seems to be unaffected by this problem. So, only the ovpn files downloaded off of vpngate.net and run with OpenVPN seem to be affected. Is that your experience also?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 am

Could you tell me what version of OpenVPN did you use?

Did you try this workaround?
http://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2622