How to tell VPN client to use an IP given by the VPN server?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
linocajo

How to tell VPN client to use an IP given by the VPN server?

Post by linocajo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi,

so today, I wanted to test softether VPN in anticipation of a travel to a "Underdeveloped Dictatorship Country" as softether call it!

My use case is this one: Comfortable Network Anywhere
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... k_Anywhere

but I can't see any setup instruction.

So I just tried my luck and "installed" the vpn server on my home computer (added a virtual Hub, a password, one user with a password and nothing else) and the vpn client on my laptop.
By miracle, I immediately managed to connect from the client to the server (client status says: connection status says Connection completed (session established))

I only have one problem: the internet traffic on my laptop is not routed via the VPN server. When I go on one of those "what is my IP address" website, they still show my local IP address.

My questions are:
where (client or server) and what setting shall I change to force the client pc to use the IP address provided by the VPN Server when I browse the Internet or use Skype?

Thank you!

Caj

linocajo

Re: How to tell VPN client to use an IP given by the VPN ser

Post by linocajo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 pm

so, I've testing different settings here and there and I found one that worked:

On the VPN Server side, I enabled the local bridge, namely, I "bridged" my virtual hub with the physical network card that my home computer uses to connect to my home router.

websites now identify my laptop as my home computer :-)

Is this the correct setup?

It seems that enabling brigding gives me much more that I intended, namely, from my work laptop/vpn client windows explorer now displays:
- all devices connected to my office network (as before)
- plus all devices from my home network.
I didn't mean to do that but I guess I don't mind, might be useful in the future.

thisjun

Re: How to tell VPN client to use an IP given by the VPN ser

Post by thisjun » Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 am

I think it is correct.
Please refer this manual.
http://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto ... VPN_to_LAN