VPN Gate Service Settings for SoftEther VPN client & server?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
chaoscreater

VPN Gate Service Settings for SoftEther VPN client & server?

Post by chaoscreater » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:52 am

I understand the difference between the 2 projects - SoftEther VPN and VPN Gate.

I've downloaded SoftEther VPN with the VPN Gate module/addon and I can join any "VPN Gate Public VPN Relay servers" under the client connection. On the client side, if you right click on the SoftEther VPN tray icon on the bottom right -> Change Operation Mode -> VPN Gate Service Settings, you can choose to enable the "VPN Gate Relay Service".

What's confusing about this is the description. It says that any VPN Gate client will be able to communicate towards the internet via the VPN Gate Relay service. But you could do that if you connect to a VPN Gate relay server anyway, so what exactly does this option do?

Furthermore, if you're using the SoftEther VPN Server, you can also find the same setting under "VPN Gate Setting" of your Virtual Hub. The descriptions are the same but the only difference here is on the VPN Server side, you have an extra option called "VPN Gate Service Option Settings".

Now, my understanding here is if you want your VPN server to be made available to anyone in the world, you can volunteer to join your server to the VPN Gate public relay server list. But I just don't understand why you see pretty much the same thing on the SoftEther VPN client as well.