Does SoftEther VPN work with the native Windows 7/8 client?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
shawnisalk

Does SoftEther VPN work with the native Windows 7/8 client?

Post by shawnisalk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm

If I setup a SoftEther VPN server will machines be able to connect via the native Windows VPN client or is there a required SoftEther client?

qupfer

Re: Does SoftEther VPN work with the native Windows 7/8 clie

Post by qupfer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Yes, but with some traps ;)

You have two modes, which are possible. "SSTP" and "L2TP with IPsec".

The "easy" one is SSTP. The problem is, Windows checks the validation of the certificat and this fails in general. So you have install a valid one to the "trusted root certification authorities" on the clients.
The SoftEther-Windows-Config-Tool can create such a cert. It's also important, what you install it to the computer cert database and NOT only for your user account. On Windows 8, you will be asked. On Windows 7, its a bit more complicated.
Press WIN+R --> enter MMC and press ENTER
Press STRG+M --> select Certificates --> select Computeraccount (not sure what is the "offical" name)
Select "trusted root certification authorities" and the "subfolder" certificates (names may be different, it's just a straightforward translation).
Click on Action --> All Tasks --> Import. Select file and go on. The correct "zone" should be automatically seleceted.

For IPsec its the same and additional, if your server is behind a nat: Allow NAT-T in Windows. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926179/en) and of course, make the correct Port-Forwardings and add these ports to the SoftEther listing ports.

And I'm sorry for my english, but I hope you (and maybe some others) understand what i mean ;)
Last edited by qupfer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawnisalk

Post by shawnisalk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Great. Thanks very much! That was helpful.

ava1ar

Post by ava1ar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:12 am

qupfer, thank you so much! Finally I got SSTP working with windows 7!

colapig

Post by colapig » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:16 pm

I read a article before teaching how to down a tool to generate a cert and import to the cert storage through Mmc.exe. But it doesn't work. I will try to rebuild the cert with the tool which came with the softether software. If some guys who can did it successfully can write a setup manual step by step, that would help a lot.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:06 am

Did you import the cert on client side?