SoftEther Proxy and Port???

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Spiri

SoftEther Proxy and Port???

Post by Spiri » Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am

Hi together,
I started Softether VPN client - VPN connection is astablished.

Now????
what can I write in my soft application, like a browser or other, for

Proxy ..... and Port .... ?

because my programs don't find the Softether VPN automatically.

When I start Tor, then I have in Proxy "128.0.0.1" and for Port "9150",and it runs - with no connection to my main network.

This possibility should go with Softether too, because I can establish a working VPN connection, but, like with Tor, no direct main connection to my Win 7 Network.

Is there a answer?

Regards
from Spiri

LyWashberg

Re: SoftEther Proxy and Port???

Post by LyWashberg » Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Spiri,
SoftEther works differently than Tor. Instead of giving you a SOCKS port, SoftEther takes over your entire Internet connection.

You can verify this by going to
http://www.whatismyip.com/
Go before you connect and then refresh that site again after you are connected. You should see that your IP has changed to an IP of country that you selected in VPN Gate.

It's a little annoying to have to route ALL of your traffic through VPN Gate when you just want to check your Facebook, but VPN Gate is so much faster than Tor, it makes up for the inconvenience.

Hopefully the developers are thinking about this issue and will make future versions of VPN Gate more like Tor.

Spiri

Post by Spiri » Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 pm

LyWashberg wrote:
> SoftEther takes over your entire Internet connection.

Hi Ly,

my problem with Softether is, it doesn't takes over my entire Internet connection.

When I establish a VPN connection the now new network can't communicate with my first main network. Therefore I ask for a other solution for me, to simple do it like Tor browser does it, because there is a VPN lin -, so there is perhaps a way to connect a perhaps single application to it.

All the best
from Spiri

LyWashberg

Post by LyWashberg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Spiri,
We all have different reasons, but want the same thing. We want SoftEther to behave like Tor does. Maybe when SoftEther goes open source, someone can address this issue.