How can I verify if I succeed in joining VPN Gate?

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
kamil445

Re: How can I verify if I succeed in joining VPN Gate?

Post by kamil445 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm

I have this same, i can't find my IP or DDNS hostname but.. my server works, i have 18 connected clients.

In first day i have 0 connections, but next day i have 5-7 or more, maybe you must wait ;p ?

BoredAus

Re: How can I verify if I succeed in joining VPN Gate?

Post by BoredAus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:08 am

The best way is to check the logs if your VPN server has actually shown that it has served clients when it was or is online:

Manage VPN Server "localhost" > Select "VPNGATE"> View Status > Num Logins

Normally if your VPN server has been set to retain logs they would be located where you have installed VPN server. The default location is:

\Program Files\SoftEther VPN Server

I believe under the security_log directory you can see the list of IPs that have tried connecting to your server. There is a more comprehensive log that is available under the server_log directory.

It has been barely a full day since I had my VPN server up and running. My VPN server has recorded 145 logins in that short time span. During that same time I have constantly checked the VPN Gate page along with the list of servers from within the SoftEther VPN Client program but I cannot see myself on the list. I guess it is probably the way the program and service is designed prevents one seeing themselves. Besides, it all heavily depends on your connectivity, your location as well as your uptime. If you have high latency, slow downlink/uplink speeds and/or going offline/online randomly you may not be able to see yourself on the list as the result of that. Also given the fact that there are so many volunteer servers online out there, there is no guarantee whether or not you will be able to get clients.

To see active connections between your VPN server and client, first make sure that under "Sessions" and "IP Tables" indicate at least the number "3". Remember, one session is for you (as the manager), the second is for SecureNAT and the subsequent sessions are the respective clients. If you don't have SecureNAT enabled the session count should indicate at least 2, one for you and the other is the client.

"Show List of TCP/IP Connections" would show partial connections between you and various clients. These are not necessarily established clients but shows the activity between your server and them. To see established connections between you and client:

Manage Virtual Hub > Manage Sessions

If you have SecureNAT enabled, you can also see some of the connections between your server and clients from recent activity:

Manage Virtual Hub > Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP Server (SecureNAT) > Virtual NAT Router Status

If you have just set up your VPN server or if your VPN server showed very low amount of logins and with most of the logins are coming from you. It is best to check and make sure that there are no firewalls blocking your VPN server and/or your potential clients. There are sites available to check whether or not are the ports on your computer, router, internet, etc are either open or closed. Just search for port tester and the first few hits on top of the search engine should be sufficient.