Connect to VPN while Hosting VPN Server

Post your questions about VPN Gate Academic Experiment Service here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
V3x

Connect to VPN while Hosting VPN Server

Post by V3x » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 am

When i am hosting a VPN Server and i myself connect to a VPN (using OpenVPN) while on the hosting machine does it also route the people connected to my VPN Server threw the VPN server that I am connected to- or does it somehow not get effected?

Also i wanted to change some settings like bandwidth usage per session but received an error each time saying to use the VPNGate control panel. I edited the config file in hopes that it works but have no way to test it atm, can anyone confirm that this works?

BoredAus

Re: Connect to VPN while Hosting VPN Server

Post by BoredAus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 am

V3x wrote:
> When i am hosting a VPN Server and i myself connect to a VPN (using
> OpenVPN) while on the hosting machine does it also route the people
> connected to my VPN Server threw the VPN server that I am connected to- or
> does it somehow not get effected?
>

It does affect it if the default gateway of your hosting machine. Normally VPN client softwares would also change the default gateway of the machine that it is running on, unless of course the user tells the software to not change the default gateway, etc.

V3x wrote:
>
> Also i wanted to change some settings like bandwidth usage per session but
> received an error each time saying to use the VPNGate control panel. I
> edited the config file in hopes that it works but have no way to test it
> atm, can anyone confirm that this works?

I cannot confirm whether or not this would work but would somewhat be interested to hear the outcomes of this. It is true that the VPN Gate settings are fairly restrictive in that it does not allow any specific fine-tuning as it would normally for any other VPN softwares let alone other configuration types such as VPN Azure, etc. I have had to resort to the use of external softwares to control things that it would otherwise would have been configurable from within the software.

V3x

Post by V3x » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks BoredAus for the detailed response!

BoredAus

Post by BoredAus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 am

Not a problem.

For that IP accounting issue, you could try experimenting in other ways to see if it actually works. For instance, if you regularly get clients connecting to your VPN server, you could try shaping their speeds temporarily on the VPN software and see if that takes any effect.

I presume, changes do not take effect immediately, so the best thing is to restart the VPN server software via the services.msc after you have made changes to the conf file. Also upon restarting the VPN server software, check the logs as they may show any useful information as to whether or not your manually tweaked settings has been accepted or rejected. If not is to actually hold out till a connection comes through and that it is shown the settings has been taken into effect.