Newby question

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
yk_nb

Newby question

Post by yk_nb » Thu May 02, 2024 7:14 pm

Dear All,

I want to install SoftEther VPN Server on my Windows Server 2012R machine. It has dual NICs combined in the Microsoft Team NIC. The RDP client is enabled on my server and I connect to it remotely via MS RDP. Question: if I install SoftEther VPN Server on it, will it interrupt my RDP access to this server?

Thank you.

solo

Re: Newby question

Post by solo » Fri May 03, 2024 2:01 am

No but ensure there are no listening ports conflicts https://www.softether.org/3-spec

dsholm

Re: Newby question

Post by dsholm » Wed May 08, 2024 11:48 pm

To enhanced @solo's answer:

@yk_nb: "The RDP client is enabled on my server and I connect to it remotely via MS RDP"

1. The RDP Client is not running on the server (for remote access) but the RDP Server is running
2. RDP Server runs on port tcp/3389, this does not conflict with anything on SoftEther unless you change SoftEther's default port settings (don't for simplicity)
3. Using netstat -anop tcp | find "LISTENING" on the command line of your server will list the current listening ports in use on your server and compare with the list that @solo referenced to make sure nothing conflicts.
4. If something does conflict you will have to choose which to change the process running (in the netstat output, you will see the process ID, you can use task manager to find the executable using that port) or change SoftEther.