DHCP problem

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Nevada

DHCP problem

Post by Nevada » Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 am

hi,
when i'm trying local-bridge VPN mode my connection is establish but i cant get any IP address from server so my VPN adapter is not going to work and i'm just connect to VPN server without VPN working.
also when i'm trying secure NAT mode, every thing is ok and i can get IP from DHCP so my VPN working as well but the problem is secure NAT mode is too much slow.

now,this is my issue: how can i active only DHCP without active (running) secure NAT? because they're in the same options setting and every time i would try DHCP , secure NAT turn on automatically!

please help me.

cedar
Site Admin

Re: DHCP problem

Post by cedar » Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 am

Simply, turn off virtual NAT function.
Please set default gateway in virtual DHCP setting to point to the router.

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 am

its setting up on 198.168.30.1 by default, do i need to change it?

and one more question: have you any plan to add new feature for administrator to choose his connection mode? for example choose between UDP,TCP,ICMP,DNS,HTTPS modes? i thought many users need this option. every country may block or reduce (limit) any modes so users can choose the best way based on their countries network limiting.

best regards :)

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 pm

You should set the network address which is used in your bridged network.

>> and one more question:

The VPN client choose the available protocol automatically.
I don't understand why the user want to choose the protocol manually.

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Thu May 23, 2013 3:35 pm

>
> The VPN client choose the available protocol automatically.
> I don't understand why the user want to choose the protocol manually.

because when government (ISP) not going to CLOSE or BLOCK the way and just put some limits to reduce speed and the software cant understand it, THE BEST OPPOSITION IS USER CAN CHOOSE HIS PROTOCOL & FIND HIS WAY MANUAL!

in some of countries with high level limited internet networks, the governments (ISP) do not CLOSE or BLOCK protocols, they are SMART and just put some LIMIT's to REDUCE the speed of protocols and network connections. with this trick you cant use vpn servers as well as they should be and your internet connection going to die with 10KB speed!

in this case, the important point is because of they self's activities like bank networks or offices networks they cant do this limiting on all of the protocol's together!!

i hope you realize my point as well...

if user have chance to choose his protocol's the governments (ISP) cant use this trick, because user can try every protocol and find the good one at his period of time!

also another good reason is because of property who some protocols have, they cant be limit or block or reduce speed. for example ICMP or DNS cant be limit by ISP and governments as easy because ICMP using ping packets and they cant block ping packets unless disconnect all the internet!
or in another example HTTPS cant be block because all the SSL and secure networks working on it and if ISP or government block or reduce it, they lost & have problems with all the secure networks of they self (government).

please do some review on this case. with this way you can help to thousands users around the world against the NEW internet censorship trick.
for your recognize: in most of the cases china's government sell this new technology to another countries :(

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Thu May 23, 2013 3:55 pm

cedar wrote:
> You should set the network address which is used in your bridged network.
>
sorry i'm a bit confused! where could i found that address?
i thought i'm using the wrong address because my VPN connection cant be establish!
used my default IP address as DF gateway and commanded "ipconfig" in CMD to found my DF gateway but non of them addresses not worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Did you enable a local-bridge?

If you do not know the configuration of the network to connect to, please ask the administrator of the network.

Nevada

Post by Nevada » Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 pm

yes of course i did!
i added local-bridge network card in settings and the status is "OPERATING".
i just cant find true DF gateway and every logical addresses i added was rejected me.
when secure-NAT is active VPN can establish but when its deactive & use DHCP single mode, its not going to work.

---->
for your recognize:
in menu "about VPN server" i found this RED status:

Virtual NAT is disabled (only DHCP enabled) : NO
<----

is it related?
please advice.

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Fri May 24, 2013 7:08 am

I don't know about network you're using.

The administrator of the network which you make the local bridge, please ask the address of the default gateway and the appropriate IP address for host.

theplacetobe

Post by theplacetobe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Did you ever fix this problem? I'm experiencing the same.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 am

Hi,

this is a configuration issue. Just add the Internet-Router IP of your VPN Server location as GW in the DHCP Gateway field.
If you have for example VPS System use the Gateway which is configured in the default NIC setting.

rgds.

Michael

onyx

Post by onyx » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 am

you can refer to this following article regarding setting a local bridge.
http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/ ... al-bridge/
This uses tap adapter in unix but should work with your LAN. I had the same problem before when I started setting up local bridge then I end up creating another virtual hub for it to work. Then in my other server I didn't have to create another virtual Hub. I just disable Secure NAT for the Hub restart the service, created the local bridge, enabled TAP/TUN device, iptable and dhcp service, set things up and after few minute everything works smoothly.

theplacetobe

Post by theplacetobe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am

Adding the gateway from the main NIC to the DHCP didn't work (no internet connection).

The linux instructions didn't help either as it talks about creating a tun device and an extra DHCP server outside of Softether, which I don't know how to do on windows.

Any windows tutorials for enabling local bridge VPN?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 pm

leito360

Post by leito360 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi.
Well... I can mount the server without any issues, I can connect to it using the client from another PC, but when it says it's retrieving the IP, it stays there several seconds and then the message dissapears and the IP of the client machine doesn't change.

It isn't the first time I ecounter this problem.

Any help?

There's something that could be relevant: I can't ping the PC where the server is installed, also, that PC can't ping to the client PC.

onyx

Post by onyx » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:46 pm

leito360 wrote:
> Hi.
> Well... I can mount the server without any issues, I can connect to it
> using the client from another PC, but when it says it's retrieving the IP,
> it stays there several seconds and then the message dissapears and the IP
> of the client machine doesn't change.
>
> It isn't the first time I ecounter this problem.
>
> Any help?
>
> There's something that could be relevant: I can't ping the PC where the
> server is installed, also, that PC can't ping to the client PC.

telling us more about your configuration would help us solve your problem. I'm assuming you have different setup with nevada.

leito360

Post by leito360 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm

onyx wrote:
> telling us more about your configuration would help us solve your problem. I'm assuming
> you have different setup with nevada.

NP, just tell me what kind of info do you need and I will provide it.

I will upload some screenshots of my VPN configuration ASAP.

onyx

Post by onyx » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:20 pm

I'll try my best to help but I'll just be bouncing in and out of the server to check things out.

Anyway, the fact that it stays in obtaining ip for a couple of seconds and just stop indicate that it failed to obtain an ip.

I'm assuming you are running the client in windows. Can you provide the result of ipconfig/all in command prompt but only for the vpn adapter. But this might be unnecessary thought. And also some info regarding what os is your server running in, what mode is the server runnig, remote or site to site or something, are you using Secure Nat or Local Bridge.

I only know a little about SEVPN base on my experience in setting up my servers couple of time experimenting with it and understanding the code it self. So I might not be able to full help you with your problem. But will try my best.