Brilliant but slow

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
GerryB

Brilliant but slow

Post by GerryB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 am

Up to now I have been using SSH tunnels and the proxy server function of SSH as as there was no alternative, especially if behind a firewall. Hamachi used a middle server when faced with firwalls and made it slow if not epxensive.VPNs often do not work in hotels or airports. The SoftEther is a delight.

But there seems to be a severe penalty:- SoftEther is SLOW. My connection from Australia to my server in the UK is not good anyway, seldom above 2.3mbs using SSH or pppt vpn, so coming down to 200kbs is painful which is what I am getting with my SofterEtherVPN stanalone server. Ping is only a little slower than SSH tunnels or pppt VPN.

IS it slow because it uses TCP alone ot traffic the data?
or that I am running the server on a VPS?

My server, Windows 2008 in the UK is a VPS with 100mbs connection. It did allow and adaptor bridging and is working. I assumed the virtual machine would refuse to create the adapter (previous VPS would not allow the creation of loopbacks) but it readily created it. Is it that the bridging that is causing the speed issue?

Starting the connection from the client and getting an ip address is very fast...seems faster than any other system I have used, but data is too slow to use currently.

I might try next to install it on a UBUNTU VPS but wonder if I might have the same issue.

Does anyone know of configuration errors that will make it slow that I could fix?

NYITGuy

Re: Brilliant but slow

Post by NYITGuy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 am

There is a setting in the server which is defaulted to 1 instead of 8 or greater. I don't remember it exactly as I was only testing the product, but I think it was called concurrent tcp connections.

On one of the menu's it was on the left hand side and mentioned 8 in its description about changing.

This does make a difference as I had a speed issue as well and was testing on 50+MB cable connections.

kh_tsang

Post by kh_tsang » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:57 am

Connect to oversea IPs may be slow and this is normal. Try to browse the websites in UK directly without VPN and see if it is still very slow.

GerryB

Post by GerryB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:48 am

I will try the TCP session

UK connection direct or via my other tunnel or VPN sessions are workable, as I said about 2mbs, so there is something about my config or I am using a VPS server that is making it extra slow.

GerryB

Post by GerryB » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 am

Thank you. Setting it to 8 has made a difference, but will play more...

Gerry

NYITGuy wrote:
> There is a setting in the server which is defaulted to 1 instead of 8 or
> greater. I don't remember it exactly as I was only testing the product,
> but I think it was called concurrent tcp connections.
>
> On one of the menu's it was on the left hand side and mentioned 8 in its
> description about changing.
>
> This does make a difference as I had a speed issue as well and was testing
> on 50+MB cable connections.

hdavy2002

Post by hdavy2002 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I also heard, if you use localbridge it is faster when compared to secureNAT.

There is a tutorial somewhere on how to create a local Bridge.