Data Compression

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
hdavy2002

Data Compression

Post by hdavy2002 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 am

I read the article below on SE. Please could someone advise if there is anything special needed to enable Data Compression. Thanks in advance folks.

"Using Data Compression

SoftEther VPN protocol can compress all Ethernet frames sent and received internally and transmit them. The deflate algorithm developed by Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler is used as the data compression algorithm. The compression parameter is set so processing is executed at the fastest speed.
By using data compression for VPN communications, a maximum of 80% of communications volume can be reduced (depends on protocol used). If compression is conducted, CPU load of both client and server becomes higher, and depending on the performance of the various types of hardware, if the line speed exceeds about 10 Mbps, in many cases not compressing data improves communication speed."

thisjun

Re: Data Compression

Post by thisjun » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

You can enable "Data Compression" in VPN Client Connection setting.
Please do right-click on connection setting and click "Properties" -> "Advanced Settings".
You can find check box of "Data Compression".

hdavy2002

Re: Data Compression

Post by hdavy2002 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks a lot, it feels great now. On the same page, I saw TCP settings, I bumped it up to 8. Do I have to enable something on the server too in order to receive extra TCP connection from the client.

Thanks once again.

Cheers