block torrent traffic

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
brlathanjr

Re: block torrent traffic

Post by brlathanjr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:58 am

You can block the ports or specific IP address that are being access using Access List in Virtual Hub settings.

inten

Post by inten » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 am

You cannot block it using SoftEther.

> I would like to limit torrent usage to my users.
> Does anyone have idea, solution or point me in right direction how to block
> torrent traffic.

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 am

You can block them by applying a 3rd-party P2P detection software or appliance.

onyx

Post by onyx » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 am

blocking it with 3rd party p2p may do. I tried it before trying to block all torrent traffic. configuring all firewall setting to block torrent ip and port. setting SE filters. And every other ways they post to block torrents server side but all failed and I end up receiving DMCA complaints every month. I solution was to program a background service client side which monitors client traffic to server and if outgoing traffic is unwanted traffic then automatically disconnect the user before the request leaks out and pass the server. I also added some background task to check clients running program before it makes a connection to server and after few minute that clients are connected. This was just me and used it back when I was still using Openvpn.

raevin

Post by raevin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Why not just block it using iptables?

Sure, there'll be ways around it but there's ways around it regardless of whatever solution you use.