SE causing allot of problems?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
onyx

SE causing allot of problems?

Post by onyx » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm not sure If I did something wrong with my setup. But when I started using SEVPN I work like a charm but that was that I rarely use it at that time so I never really notice the problem. I have it installed in 2 servers and only 3 people are using it using ssl and openvpn clone. But when one of my users complain that she always gets disconnected every now and then and sometimes having routing problem like not obtaining ip or other connection issues so I tried to see if to cause the same problem for me or it's only with her ISP or unit. That's when I notice that I often get disconnected and VPN will try to reconnect. At first I happens once or twice every hour but the longer I use it the more often I get disconnected and reconnected from the server. I thought of restarting the server but still does the same. I goes the same for the other server. I know I have a fine internet connection considering that I have 3 internet connection including mobile internet to test. I want to find track the problem in the logs it self but what that logs with write out are just connection being established, disconneted, clearn or other networks stuffs. No error to track it (I don't know much when i comes to debugging with SEVPN).

Anyways I'm using low end servers but I think the specs are good enough to hold less than 5 people including me considering that I'm running 2 servers.

I;m using local bridge with virtual adapter for both servers.
tap_vpn Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:AC:84:C9:1C:D2
inet addr:192.168.90.1 Bcast:192.168.90.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::2ac:84ff:( :P cut for a reason)/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4032853 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5139661 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:328061591 (312.8 MiB) TX bytes:6094041889 (5.6 GiB)

Linux vps.nohost(:P).com 2.6.32-042stab084.25 #1 SMP Wed Feb 12 16:04:42 MSK 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

identical for both servers

SE V4.06 Build 9435

usibg TCP SSL and openvpn clone.

Basically the setup is to redirect all internet traffic to the server. But I don't know why it cause to much problem. I have to monitor the servers all the time hopping to find the problem. BTW. I installed everything 2 or 3 times already hoping that it would fix the problem but no luck. It goes well for the first few days but derps out in couple of days time. I also tried running openvpn it self it gives me the same problem but turns out fine. I just don't want to use openvpn anymore as I find SEVPN more interesting.

onyx

Re: SE causing allot of problems?

Post by onyx » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:38 pm

well, after allot of testing to find the problem I just installed the latest build in one of the server. Works fine with the standard SEVPN but still reconnects in openvpn. Checked openvpn logs and error says -ping-restart which is an inactivity timeout settings for openvpn. I was able to change it by modifying the code and compile the whole thing from source. now it just reconnects for a certain amount of time when using my mobile connection and stable for my landline connection. The real problem was my server. I just have to look for other servers.