Client server works great in house but can't connect

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
tg32159

Client server works great in house but can't connect

Post by tg32159 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:11 pm

I have been trying several VPN products over the last week and they all give me the same results - and I can't figure out why!
All of the computers I'm using are either Windows 7 or Windows 8 64 Bit. I can configure one for server and one for client and I can make the connection all day long, so long as I'm in house and on the same network. The minute I try to connect from an outside network over the internet I cannot make a connection. Generally the problem is that the client cannot find the server. Obviously there is something not set up correctly or something I have not done that I need to do to make this connection happen but I'm not sure what it is.

And how is it that if I use a host address as common as say 192.168.1.15 how does my client side know which 192.168.1.15 location to connect to? I believe there are literally thousand of devices with that address associated with them. What is the single Identifier that informs the client to know which one of those devices it should connect to?

That second paragraph is just a question that has had me puzzled and doesn't really require a response, but I sure would like some help on resolving the issue mentioned in the first paragraph.

Thanks

onyx

Re: Client server works great in house but can't connect

Post by onyx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 am

It's not possible to establish a connection to a remote computer witout a static ip or the unique ip that distinguish your server location.

tg32159

Post by tg32159 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:29 am

All of the ip's I'm using are static. I am using the LAN addresses not the WAN addresses as per the documentation. As I understand it LAN ip addresses are unique only within that local area network. However there are countless LAN's using the very same addressing scheme. It would seem logical to me that the WAN addresses should be used because they are unique, no?

onyx

Post by onyx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:57 am

Just don't use your LAN ip when connecting remotely. You have to use your WAN ip which is also your internet ip address.

tg32159

Post by tg32159 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:06 pm

That did it. Thanks!