Add client routes from Hub to Bridges

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mstenz

Add client routes from Hub to Bridges

Post by mstenz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:09 am

Hi,

is it possible to let manipulate the routing table for the bridge's host via a central setting in the Hub?

any ideas?

rgds.

Michael

inten

Re: Add client routes from Hub to Bridges

Post by inten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 am

Hi!

> is it possible to let manipulate the routing table for the bridge's host
> via a central setting in the Hub?

Could you provide more details or an example?
When you don't like the answer, change the question.
Cheers,
Team.

VPNHPanel.com
This account is not associated to SoftEther project.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:06 am

Sure,

if a VPNClient is used its possible to propagate routing entries that are entered in the clients route table after the vpn connection is established.

I need to same just for bridges, but as the bridge does not receive a IP via DHCP this is not possible this way in my eyes.

hope its clear what I mean.

rgds.

Michael

inten

Post by inten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:33 am

My opinion is you cannot do it by design http://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto ... Bridge_VPN

You might take a look at LAN-to-LAN VPN (Using L3 IP Routing) http://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manua ... P_Routing)

Cheers!
When you don't like the answer, change the question.
Cheers,
Team.

VPNHPanel.com
This account is not associated to SoftEther project.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 am

Hi,

iam using a L3 switch. But the problem is, that in the clients there must be added routing entries manually to be able reach the other networks, and if we will use hundrets of hubs and servers its very hard to maintain this entries manually, so this is the reason I asked for a more central solution.
Theoretically it should be possible by the bridge daemon to add routes to the routing table.

inten

Post by inten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 am

... then why don't you just add those required routes to the clients depending of the hub?

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

inten wrote:
> ... then why don't you just add those required routes to the clients
> depending of the hub?

because we have hundret of hubs, currently i do that already manually, but thats a stupid working.

inten

Post by inten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 am

Looks like a bit of flame here... :) but I do not realize your concerns about doing your job; if you have hundreds of physical switches you have to do same job, this is normal. Just imagine how can you rule your routing tables among all hubs automatically?

I will tell you more, currently we have 320 hubs running on 32 servers and we rule them using special software that changes routing tables accordingly. But even now we HAVE TO fix those routes manually every time when someone wants dedicated hub.

mstenz

Post by mstenz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:47 pm

I completely understand that softether cant bring me away from all the work. this is totaly clear.

I think i need to tell you that all the servers I have use a default GW, that is not connected to Softether (I have no controll over that GW). This means i cannot reconfigure the default gateway and add the routes there..
That results in a need to add in *every* server in the whole network static routes to let the traffic for SE go to the right GW.

If now there is a possibility that a bridge can receive routing entries that are centrally configured in a hub and applies to the server where the bridge itself is installed this makes it easy to administrate and also the routes can changed even if there is no direct administrative access to the bridge server.

I know, that then if there are other servers sidebyside to the bridge the routing configuration cannot automatically changed here. But In my environment the most subnets just have one server (the bridge itself).

This means that in my scenario the whole routing could be administrated centrally without a need to login every day to all the servers and add a new route.

I also know there is a possibility to script things and make that also happen, but I think this is a great feature for SE.