Mesh Network Possibility?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
jwshields

Mesh Network Possibility?

Post by jwshields » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a quick question, I am considering using SoftEther VPN, it looks like a really attractive solution for me.
I've got a headless raspberry pi, running raspbian/debian, behind a DMZ/NATed network which I would like to use as a server. I also have multiple Windows PCs in a remote network, and a Mac that is mobile, which I would all like to be interconnected. In a sort of mesh-network fashion.

I was wondering if this is possible with SoftEther, and if it would be complicated/easy to implement? I've attached an image of the type of network I'd be interested in. Rather than having all the information be tunneled through the server.

Thanks in advance,
JWS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

inten

Re: Mesh Network Possibility?

Post by inten » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Which type of SE (client/server/bridge) are you going to use at the endpoints?

jwshields

Post by jwshields » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:26 pm

inten wrote:
> Which type of SE (client/server/bridge) are you going to use at the
> endpoints?

I'd hazard a guess of all of them being clients, but also have a client&server running on my Pi.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is to emulate all of the computers being on the same switch.

mesa57

Post by mesa57 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm

This is not possible with Softether, at least not with traffic going directly from client to client. An alternative for a mesh network would be NeoRouter.
NeoRouter also needs a server, but when peer-to-peer connection is established it should do without.

jwshields

Post by jwshields » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 pm

I've been looking into NeoRouter and tinc, NR will do what I want, but the only hitch I have with it, is that it's still dependant on the NR "home-servers"... Ie, I have to create an account with them and register for it to work, it's not a completely independent solution. Does that make sense? Do you know of anything that doesn't rely on a third party service for authentication or configuration?

Thank you, though :)

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm

You can build a mesh network by using spanning tree (STP) protocol over SoftEther VPN.