cannot connect to computers visible to VPN server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
griznet

cannot connect to computers visible to VPN server

Post by griznet » Fri May 09, 2014 8:21 am

Using amazon EC2.
I can connect to SoftEther VPN server on Amazon EC2 using an elastic IP (54.187.185.154) from a windows pc client at home. But from home (vpn client) I cannot see the internal computers visible to the vpn server (10.0.0.x). I look at the vpn interface on my pc and it is assigned 169.254.193.45). Shouldn't it be in the 10.0.0.0 range?

I have local bridge set to etho which has 10.0.0.0 as the gateway.

qupfer

Re: cannot connect to computers visible to VPN server

Post by qupfer » Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

griznet wrote:
> Using amazon EC2.
> I have local bridge set to etho which has 10.0.0.0 as the gateway.

You must not use a local bridge on a (v)server.
It's like you plugged your client directly in the networkport in amazons data center. And because your device isn't valid for the switchport, you get no address.
(169.254.x.x is a LinkLocal address)

You have to use SecureNAT or create a bridge with a tap_device and make SNAT with iptables.
Good tutorials are:
http://07q.de/tut1
http://07q.de/tut2

And if your EC2-Server running linux, you also can't connect other services on the vpn-server through the vpn (see manual 3.6.11).

griznet

Post by griznet » Sun May 11, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Qupfer, Thank you for the quick response. I did as you suggested and it worked.

For reasons that are really beyond discussion, I also put a Windows Softether client in a different Virtual Private Cloud on Amazon ( a Virtual private cloud different from the one the SoftEther Server is on). However, then when I use the same technique to connect to the Softether server, I lose my connection to the the Windows Softether client.

any ideas?

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Sun May 11, 2014 1:41 pm

griznet wrote:
> any ideas?

Simple question: Did you use the same username/password for both connections? If yes, this is the poblem. Just create a new user for the second client.

If not, please be more "exactly" ;)
I don't understand, which connection(s) you lost.
If I'm correct, you have three devices?
1: a (linux???) Server hosted in amazons cloud
2: a (windows) Client hosted in amazons cloud
3: a Client at home/work or somewhere else

So, which connection will be lost, and how did you notice that? Specially for the "cloud-client".
I mean for example, if you are using RDP and start the vpn connection, a rdp-disconnection will be normal because new routes are set.

griznet

Post by griznet » Sun May 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Qupfer,

Once again thanks for your support. I am sorry I was not clear in my earlier email (too early in morning for me. :-))

Anyone, here is the situation, and I have repeated it several times to make sure it was not a quirk.

1. I have a Virtual Private Cloud#1 running Amazon Linux AMI. On it I have the SoftEther Server. It is setup to connect to computers I also have on the VPC#1.

2. From home, I have a Windows 7 box where I loaded the SoftEther Windows Client and can easily connect to the server and see the webpage I was after. I then disconnected this session.

3. Now I create a new Virtual Private Cloud #2 with Amazon EC2. With that I put an instance of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Base. On that I also load and execute the SoftEther Client. When I go to connect to the SoftEther server in VPC2, it seems to connect (as I can see it from server manager). However, I lose my RDC. No matter what I do, I cannot get the RDC back. I have to stop/reboot the instance to see it again. The connection appears to stay connected to the SoftEther server, but I cannot reach the client machine at all.

On the client I and using the default VPN adapter that it creates. I am also using an elastic IP to connect to both the client and the server.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

griznet

Post by griznet » Mon May 12, 2014 3:33 pm

I figured out that I can connect to device through another computer on amazon's internal network.