Used SoftEther VPN first time = my Yahoo mail acct hacked

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
bjwpg

Used SoftEther VPN first time = my Yahoo mail acct hacked

Post by bjwpg » Thu May 29, 2014 5:04 am

I just installed SoftEther VPN yesterday, and today Yahoo Mail informed me that someone from the U.K., the VPN Relay Server location I was using, had unauthorized logged into my Yahoo Mail account the same day.

What's going on? Does using SoftEther leave us open to someone getting in to our private information and e-mail accounts somehow?

I don't use any other software that could have allowed this to happen. Having used a proxy from the U.K. and having been hacked from the same location on the same day cannot be a coincidence!

dnobori

Re: Used SoftEther VPN first time = my Yahoo mail acct hacke

Post by dnobori » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 pm

I suppose that it was not "hacked" access, but it was your actual access to Yahoo! server with your account when you used the U.K. VPN server.
Some intellect web services, including Yahoo! and Google, reports abnormal switching between several source IP address countries in the short time. When you uses the U.K. VPN server, all access to Yahoo! server will be identified as from U.K. ISP, on the viewpoint of Yahoo!. Then Yahoo! might warn that such access might be a 'hacked' access.
If the above circumstance is correct, there is nothing to concern.

bjwpg

Post by bjwpg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Ahhhhh! So, you mean that if I accessed my Yahoo Mail account *after* I had opened the U.K. V.P.N. channel (or conduit or whatever it's called), then Yahoo would think that it was 'someone else' from the U.K. who was accessing my e-mail account, yes?

If this is true, then it does make sense to me how that happened, and, as you say, then there is no cause for concern, since no one else actually logged into my e-mail account other than me.

Thank you for your response.

dnobori

Post by dnobori » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 am

I think so.
Since every login packets with the official Yahoo! server are encrypted by SSL, between end-to-end, even the administrator of a VPN Gate volunteer server is unable to capture the credentials.

bjwpg

Post by bjwpg » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:05 pm

That is very helpful.

Your explanation makes sense, even to a 'non-computer expert' like me.

Thank you very much.