Secure NAT kills performance

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
darkdancer

Secure NAT kills performance

Post by darkdancer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:28 am

I am not using bridge together with secureNAT.
I am very sure that secureNAT has some serious performance issues that it periodically shoot my CPU utilization to 100% for 20-30min even there is NO connection exists! When there is one connection, the average CPU utilization is about 20-30%, which is 10X of ubuntu's l2tpd. I am using a double core 2.0G xeon with 4G mem
Please, softEther team, this is not "high performance" you advocated, and there must be some performance bug, please fix it

inten

Re: Secure NAT kills performance

Post by inten » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:48 am

I am not a member of SoftEther team but they have promised nothing about vNAT performance so far. Moreover, if you read the documentation you would know they suggest to avoid using of built-in NAT due to performance issue of it.

avel

Post by avel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 am

Best way to make virtual adapter and bridge it with SoftEther virtual hub. But I personaly still can't find good way to make it on FreeBSD. (On Linux you can make it from SE GUI)

avel

Post by avel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 am

Reinstalling to Debian, as I understood that local bridging will not work with FreeBSD(for virtual tap)